News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive ID

Started by kokoracer, December 17, 2009, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokoracer

Here is another loco that I am trying to id.  It is a Bachmann 6 axle in the blue SF scheme road number is 5048.  Appears to be an SD and runs, but is need of some truck covers and other parts.  Am trying to decide whether to fix it and keep it or move it with a bunch of other used locos.

jward

if they have the correct number on it, the real santa fe 5048 was an emd sd40-2. this should be easy to confirm, the sd40-2s had extra wide platforms on each end, with the rear platform noticeably larger than the front one.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Cody J

How does the engine run? Just curious, thinking about buying one.
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

kokoracer

I just gave it a quick test to make sure it was running.  My layout is set up for 4 axle power and  my railroad is set in New England.  It was part of a buyout from a friend who is leaving the area.  I got about 20 locos along with lots of freight cars and passenger cars.  Most of that stuff ie either too long for my 18 in min radius or is from the western roads.  I was thinking that an SD would still handle the tight curves, but give me some 6 axle power.

I am holding back a Dash 40 Spectrum.  What a beast!  Will be restricted as I doubt that it will handle the tight spots. .

jward

your bext bet if you want a 6 axle locomotive that will run well on 18" radius curves, would be an emd sd9 or alco rsd5. manu of the first generation 6 axle locomotives weren't much bigger than the 4 axle models they were derived from.

keeping the new england theme in mind, might i suggest the sd24? guilford bought quite a few of these from the santa fe in the 1980s. they are about the same size as an sd9.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA