News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Niagara 4-8-4

Started by nhibbitts, December 19, 2009, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhibbitts

I have a niagara 4-8-4 i got with the overland express set.  it ran well last yeaR BUT THIS YEAR and RUNS A SHORT DISTANCE AND STOPS.  The push rods from pistons may be a bit bent on one side i coulgently put inbto place a little better.  it may have been a while since it was oiled and greased so I  wonder if that would help.  I have products made for these. :-\

ABC

I thought that set was UP, not NYC. So, are you sure you have a Niagara and not an FEF because, Niagara only applies to NYC & NdeM (Mexico)?  Because the Bachmann Niagara is in my opinion a better model than the FEF and they are a bit different in that the Niagara has a longer tender and the new ones have DCC.
But to get back on topic, it sounds like something is broken, so if you have had it for less than 1 year, I'd suggest sending it in for replacement. Also, it is possible that nothing is broken and it just needs thoroughly cleaned and lubed; it is hard to tell without actually seeing it.

jbsmith

It is UP.
The instruction sheet for the loco says Niagara at the top of the sheet.

Try cleaning the track,,just because the track looks clean does not mean it is clean. The Steel Alloy track that comes with the set is fussy about that.
Run a scotchbite along the track first, followed by an old t-shirt wetted with isopropyl alcohol followed by a dry t-shirt.
that scotchbrite pad is soft plastic,it will loosen things up and will not harm the track.The scotchbrite pads can be found in any supermarket or dollar store.

Clean the driver wheels and a drop of oil for the gears and on the connecting rods of the drive wheels wipe off any excess.