News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Pilot truck

Started by Oldgeek, December 21, 2009, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldgeek

I have a new 2-8-0 outside frame and find the pilot truck tends to catch on something, (screw heads that are located there, I think), and derail the engine on 22" and 18" radius curves, (EZ Track).    Also the headlight is not working.  It might be the connection between the tender and loco as I don't read any voltage at the headlight leads when it is "on".   Is there an diagram of the connector pinouts anywhere?

Thanks!

....Bob

jestor

My first suggestion would be to swap in the other pilot truck supplied with the loco and see if that one works any better. I had the same problem with one of my Consolidations and swapping trucks cured it.  Another thing you might check is the area under the pilot deck where the spring rubs against the bottom of the deck for any roughness that could cause the spring to hang up. I found it necessary on my other Connie to sand the area and lubricate to get the spring to slide freely.   As for lights, double check the connectors to insure they are seated in the correct orientation. They have a little protusion on the side that matches a groove on one side of the receptacle.I believe the large plug is for motor and the small plug is for the headlight. Does the rear light work when going in reverse?  Is the decoder plug seated securely on the circuit board?  You might unplug it and plug it back in.   Does it derail only at certain spots?  Then you may have a track related issue, such as a rough rail joint that catches a wheel flange. The only trouble I have had with my Connies is with the pilot trucks, which was solved by the methods mentioned earlier.  Hope some of this helps. Let us know the outcome.