News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 Jupiter

Started by en4cer, December 23, 2009, 08:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

en4cer

I'm considering going dcc on my HO scale 4-4-0 Jupiter Steam engine and tender. What I don't know is whether it's dcc ready or not, any information would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

rich1998

no they are not dcc ready. you have to disconnect the motor and connect the decoder orange and grey wires to the motor. connect the red and black wires to the pickups.
a dz125 decoder would probably work and i know tcs has one or two n scale decoders that would work.

lex

CNE Runner

As I write this post, I am sitting looking at my own Bachmann Jupiter (decorated for the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR). The thought of converting this small locomotive from DC to DCC is daunting at best. I would love to hear from someone who actually did the conversion. There is very little room in the engine and precious little in the tender. It is, indeed, too bad that Bachmann doesn't at least make this locomotive DCC-ready.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rich1998

actually pretty easy as i said in a previous message.
about nine years ago i installed a lenz n scale decoder in a manuta general, bachmann old time 4-4-0 and a ihc old time 4-4-0.
tacked the decoder where i could with scotch tape. walthers goo would work also.
i used leadshot in the tender shell for more weight.

disconnect the pickup wires from the motor.
connected orange and grey decoder wires to the motor.
two pickup leads to the red and black decoder wires.
I do not bother with the lights.

converted the tender trucks to all wheel pickup.
still use the loco pickup wire.
i bought some nmra colored wire from litchfield plus small shrink tube for all my dcc installs.
below is a link on how to make all tender wheel pickups

the tenders look a little better with 28" all metal wheels.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

my decoder in a ihc old time 4-4-0.

a truck converted to all wheel pickup

patience is needed. it is supposed to be fun.
lex

rich1998

this is my next 4-4-0 conversion. if your tender looks like this, you have all the room in the world for a decoder and extra weight. the wheels are ridiculously small so i am going to use 28" wheels though one person i know has used ihc all metal 31" ihc wheels.

lex

en4cer

Thanks for all the input guys, this is truely a wonderful hobby when you can get so much help from other hobbyists.

rich1998

forgot to add. i measured the motor current at 12 volts dc. about 400 ma with a slight load on the motor shaft.
A 1 amp n scale decoder will work just fine. I think tsc has a z scale decoder that is good for 1 amp.
When I did the conversion some years ago, I found a can motor in an old cd burner that has the same shaft diameter as the bachmann motor. 1.5mm I believe. I used that motor.

below is a photo of the motor.

below is a photo of a seven pole coreless motor i got off of ebay.

lex