News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reverse loop module

Started by plasticman, December 24, 2009, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman

Hi,
I have built a N scale  layout with a reverse loop. I see that Bachmann makes an E-Z Command reverse loop module. Would this work for NON- DCC trains? Or analog compatible?

I dont want to spend the money and find out it wont work. Thanks!!

Merry Christmas

jward

automatic reversing modules designed for dcc use are not compatable with dc. if you want a simple way to wire a reverse loop in dc, place a bridge rectifier of 3 amp or more rating between the block switch and the rails. the ac leads go to the common wire and the wire from the block switch. the two dc leads are connected to the track.

using this method, you will eliminate the need for a second direction switch just for the loop, the drawback is that you will only be able to run through the loop in one direction. you flip your direction switch while the locomotive is in the loop, the bridge rectifier will ensure that it keeps moving in the same direction regardless of which way the direction switch is set.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

plasticman

Hi,

Is there any schematics of this?  Im not following you- I am a Novice at this hobby,  so some of the terms I am not familiar with. . Thanks so much for responding!!

ebtbob

Plasticman,

The easiest way I know for a novice to work with a reverse loop is to buy the Atlas component called the Controller.   This simple panel is the best for a novice and the wiring instructions are on the back of the package.
Just remember,  you reversing section in the loop must be longer than the longest train you intend to run.    It can be the whole loop or part of the loop.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org