News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track yard

Started by mp railroader, December 30, 2009, 09:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp railroader

I have used EZ track for a few years and I want to expand my layout with a staging yard.  What type of remote switches should I buy to make parallel tracks for the yard?  I hope to have a yard similar to MODEL RAILROADER's Black River Junction from January 2007.

BestSnowman

The remote turnout (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=194) divergent route matches the 18" radius track so if you follow it with an 18" radius it will bring you parallel to the straight route.

This will work fine if you are using small locomotives and shorter stock (50 scale foot or less). My current layout has a couple of these and it works fine with 4 axel diesels such as GP40s but barely with anything larger (my only steam is a 2-8-4 Berk that can make it through at low speeds only). I'm actually rebuilding my layout to remove these areas to accomodate my 6 axel diesels (just as SD40s) which cannot navigate these items without a buffer car (a car with truck mounted couplers that have long shanks) to keep it from pulling the train off the tracks.

If you are going to keep your stock short and your locomotives short you will be fine with that, if not you'll either have to put a straight section between the turnout and turn to prevent an S-curve or use a bigger switch (such as a #6 or larger) but as I have not used them yet I don't know what would accomodate them to bring it back parallel.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jonathan

MP,

I'm just going to piggyback on what Matt said.  Even if you are using small steam or 4-axle diesels, one day you will find a big loco you can't live without.  You might as well go with #6 turnouts, and save yourself some trouble later. 

I have a combination of #4 and #6 turnouts, and I cringe every time one of my 6-axle diesels have to negotiate the #4s.  They usually make it, if I creep the whole train through the turnout, but sometimes a loco or longish car will jump the rails because it's just to sharp.  I never have to worry about the #6's. Everything flies right through those turnouts, regardless of length-even the passenger cars are no problem.  You can mix regular track (cork roadbed) with the EZ track.  I use the Atlas turnouts.  Some people swear by the Peco.  It's your wallet.

Oh, and I use a little flex track to bring my yard tracks back to parallel.

Just an opinion. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i would stromgly recommend that you don't use standard 18" radius switches for yards or crossovers. you will find that #4 $5 OR #6 will work much better for yards. and consider that if you are using them in hidden staging, you'll want them to be flawless in their operation.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA