DC controller compatible with E-Z command

Started by Eddy, December 25, 2009, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I just got an E-Z command controller for Christmas. I want to  be able to run my older DC trains with my DCC equipped ones.  The manual says that it recommends the #44212 controller for the required DC controller. I have a #46605A controller which appears to be very similar. Will my current DC controller work? 

Also, according to the instruction manual's pictures and wiring diagrams when the E-Z command controller and DC controller hooked together is appears that the only power source for the entire system is the power pack connected to the DC controller, and no power pack is connected directly to the E-Z command controller.  Is this correct?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, this is the first time that I have used DCC.

Merry Christmas (and Happy Festivus lol)

Stephen D. Richards

Question #1.......Yes

Question # 2......Yes
I run DC with both of the DC Power Packs (got them at different times) and they do work well.  A note of caution; never a good practice to leave a DC only loco setting on the DCC track with power applied.  Motor will get quite hot and sooner or later burn out.  The power pack must run through the DC controller before going into the DCC controller if you run both controllers.  Hope that helps      Stephen

Eddy

Thanks for your answers  :).  I have noticed that my DCC equipped locomotives run a lot better on DCC than on DC.  One locomotive in fact, runs poorly on DC, but on DCC is runs excellent.

ABC

The only real point of using the DC controller is to free up the number 10 address for DCC use.

Eddy

I have set it up and it works great. I love how the lights on my non-dcc locomotive light up at full power.  When I ran one of my non-dcc locomotives I did smell a strange odor although it was not warm or anything.

Eddy

The setup does really well with steam locomotives. The max ac voltage got the smoke to work on my steam locomotive (the living room was filled with smoke).