News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela derailing on ez-track crossovers

Started by kbell1958, December 27, 2009, 01:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbell1958

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem.  I have 3 Acela locos (2 HHP-8s and an Acela Express).  All 3 seem to want to derail while traveling through one of my crossovers. It's an EZ track crossover to make matters worse.  Sometimes the cars will derail, too, but just the Acela Express cars. The Amfleet cars are fine.  I tested other locos and it's just the Acela ones that don't like my crossover.  Any suggestions?

Keith

kman781

I have a smilar problem with a right hand ez track switch when my Acela express goes through it. The heavy weight of the locomotive pushes down on the movable rails of the switch causing it to move to the center, not straight or right. For some reason theres alot of slack in my switch track. My advice is to replace the switch,but maybe someone else has a better idea.

kbell1958

Thanks! I noticed the weight issue, too.  I'm going to consult with the owner of the shop where I work and see what he says, too.

Joe Satnik

You could also check that your wheels are in gauge. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

trainmanjay

Very interesting that you say that about the weight problem because this was happening to me as well. I do not know were you have your switch on the layout or how much traffic that switch gets but what i did(keep in mind that my switch does not get a lot of traffic)is I use a skewer or a small needle nose plyer and physicaly hold the switch in place as my locomotive goes succesfully over the point. Hope this helps you! :) If you would like more you may follow me on twitter, my username is trainmanjay.  :D

BestSnowman

Is this a new issue or have they alway had troubles with this switch? Do they pick other switches? Do they pick the switch with the opposite end of the locomotive leading through the switch?

If other locomotives and stock work fine though it I'd be inclined to think it might be a wheels out of guage issue. I'd also check the switch to make sure its in guage too.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

kman781

All my other engines and cars go through the switches fine, including the dummy engine of the Acela Express. Its definitely the heavy weight of the Acela locomotive and the quality of the track sswitch. Actually, my Gordon and Henry engines tend to go through the switches roughly too...