News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Problem

Started by jlg759, December 27, 2009, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlg759

I just received a new Spectrum 2-8-0 and I am having a problem with the tender lifting off the track. It appears that the wires from the tender are so stiff that they are lifting the tender. The drawbar does not seem to be going down all the way. I also have a problem with the pilot wheel coming off. I have not checked yet bit I will check the wheel guage is there any other adjustment to the pilot that might help.

Thanks

Joe

full maxx

I also am having trouble with the wires on the same loco and as far as the pilot wheels there is a bar between the pilot and the engine that is bent to act as a spring to keep pressure on the wheels...you could try to put a tiny bit more bend in that to help push the wheels down more but go easy on it
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

The stiff wire problem seems to be a common one with the Connie.  I manipulated the wires so one set travels along the right side of the draw bar, and one set travels along the left side.  I also GENTLY wiggled the wires a little, just to loosen them up a bit.  I have not had a problem since doing that to the wires.

I have seen suggestions about adding a little weight to the front of the tender, to keep the tender on the tracks.  I'm sure that will help, but I haven't had to do that thus far.

I have a dc and a DCC Connie.  I did the wire trick with both engines and both have been working fine so far.

The draw bar is a little uncooperative when placing the loco on the track, but once in position, the draw bar doesn't let go while pulling a consist.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: full maxx on December 27, 2009, 11:15:58 PM
I also am having trouble with the wires on the same loco and as far as the pilot wheels there is a bar between the pilot and the engine that is bent to act as a spring to keep pressure on the wheels...you could try to put a tiny bit more bend in that to help push the wheels down more but go easy on it

Keep in mind simple physics: -

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Therefore, the more pressure you apply to the spring to push the pilot wheels down, an equal amount of force is being applied to the spring to lift the weight of the loco, thus reducing the amount of weight available for traction.  The best thing to do with the springs pushing down on pilot trucks and trailing trucks is to remove them completely.  This will assist all your steam locos in pulling more cars and if your track is correctly laid, you'll find you don't need the spring as the trucks will track quite nicely without them.  If you do have problems, add some weight to the truck.

full maxx

never thought of it that way
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Colorado_Mac

Quote from: jlg759 on December 27, 2009, 11:10:34 PM
I just received a new Spectrum 2-8-0 and I am having a problem with the tender lifting off the track...The drawbar does not seem to be going down all the way...

I purchased mine very recently and had the same problem.  The connection was "catching" before it went all the way.  Some gentle wiggling/pushing solved it.