Need Help with a New FT-A BALTIMORE & OHIO #60112 "It's Squealing"

Started by Robertj668, December 31, 2009, 03:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Santa Brought a lot of great engines for me, err my 6 year old son for Christmas.
We got (again I mean my son got)
B & O (Just gorgeous!)
Burlington (A Unit and B Unit)
Santa Fe (This one is Just beautiful and my favorite)
NYC (A Unit and B Unit)
Erie (Another Beautiful one)
Seaboard

They are all beautiful but the B&O is squealing It is new and I am guessing it need a little TLC. But where?  If I open the item up does it void the warranty?  I know my Hobby shop guy will take it back but I would like to maybe take care it it at home.  But will it come back?

I was a little bit hesitant to do the run in but did it anyway 15 forward and 15 back. Still squealing. :(

I must give Bachmann a lot of Kudos on this engine it is just a beautiful engine.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Robert

BaltoOhioRRfan

a little oil on the gears and axles should take care of the squealing. see the exploaded diagram for dissasembly instructions

as far as i know opening the loco for matinence should not void the warrenty. but i cant be 100% sure.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

pipefitter

That's probably bearing squeal from the motor shafts. I occasionally get a new loco with dry motor bearings. You can lube the motor yourself but you need to take care. Turn the loco over and remove the four small, phillips head screws in front and back of the fuel tank. Lift off the shell taking care to slip the front coupler out. On top of the frame you will see a circuit board that is attached by two small screws with yellow plastic washers. Remove the screws and carefully lift the board so not to break the small attaching wires. See the motor underneath. Use a plastic compatible oil with a needle tip and apply a small drop on the motor shafts where they exit each end of the motor, not too much. Carefully put the screws back in and attach the circuit board. At this point test the loco before putting the shell back on, run back and forth a couple of times - squeal should be gone now. Put the shell back on being careful not to over tighten and strip the four screws.

A suitable oil for bearings http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1089
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Robertj668

Pipefitter
That was a great walk through on how to do it. I think I will call or email Bachmann and see if doing that voids the warranty.

I wonder what does happen to those engines that get returned?

Robert

ABC

Hellhound

Quote from: Robertj668 on December 31, 2009, 06:59:00 PM
Pipefitter
That was a great walk through on how to do it. I think I will call or email Bachmann and see if doing that voids the warranty.

I wonder what does happen to those engines that get returned?

Robert

I beleive they are used for spare parts if they are not repairable.

the Bach-man

Dear Robert,
It will not void the warranty, and it will make all your locos run better and longer.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Robertj668

UPDATE:
I took to my local Hobby shop and they exchanged it.
Robert

Thank you all for your help!