News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

For the Bach Man: HO Double Crossover

Started by andylvtrains, December 30, 2009, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

Will Bachmann ever make a HO double crossover?  The alternative of using 2 single crossovers requires too much track length if you are limited in available space ....

BestSnowman

It's not quite as handy but you can mix in a roadbed-less double crossover and build up your own road bed.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jhanecker2

It is possible to build a double crossover with E-Z track  with both remote turnouts and # 5 turnuts . They do get to be long and wide though and you do have to wire them very carefully and insulate the crossing properly.  I run  DC . You can also the double crossovers with Atlas Code  100 components , this can be done using their regular turnouts also their # 4 , #6 and #8 turnouts. Pickup a copy of Atlas #12 Wiring Book.  Kalmbach publishes an excellent Wiring Book as well. J2.

Robertj668

andylvtrains
That is  great question.  This is one of my top reason I still have not committed to a final track plan.  To make the double crossover in EZ-Track it takes about 42 inches.  I am thinking of doing what BestSnowman and/or what Jhanecker recommends.

Jhanecker2
I agree on the wide part.  However it takes less length that using the crossover.  But the won't the lager steam engines (Ones that take 22" curves) have trouble? I cannot remember if they did I may have to try that tomorrow.
What was the name of the Kalmbach book by the way?

Robert

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

To build a double crossover you would need a crossing twice the departure angle of the turnouts.

In numbered turnouts, assume that the departure angle equals the frog angle. 

Turnout name, Departure Angle, Crossing Angle:

Bachmann Remote, 30 degrees,      60 degrees

generic #4,         14.25 degrees,    28.5 degrees

Atlas #4 (actually #4.5), 12.5 degrees, 25 degrees

#5,                       11.4 degrees,       22.8 degrees

#6,                       9.5 degrees,         19 degrees

#8,                       7.15 degrees,       14.3 degrees.

Bachmann does make a 60 degree crossing (#44542). 

So, who makes 28.5, 25, 22.8, 19, and 14.3 degree crossings?

Atlas makes 19 degree (#171), 25 degree (#172) and 60 degree (#175) crossings in Code 100 Snap Track.

Four turnouts and a crossing would get pricey, though.

(That expensive non-roadbed double crossover is looking a little bit cheaper now.) 

Mainline to mainline spacing would be larger than expected. 

To build a double crossover within an EZ-Track layout,

I would either use Bachmann #6 turnouts and a 19 degree Atlas crossing, cutting Snap Track fitters, the crossing and cork to fit,

or,

just use cork and Atlas #4-25 degree X or #6-19 degree X Snap Track (or any other Code 100 bare track systems whose designers thought about building a double crossover using separate components).

Live with the difference in looks, or bury it all in ballast (except for the moving turnout points).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jhanecker2

To Robert the Title of the Kalmbach Book is : Model Railroader Books , " Easy Model Railroad Wiring " , Second Edition , by Andy Sperandeo # 12207 .

The Atlas Book : The Complete Atlas Wiring Book Item # 12

Thanks for Asking it reminded me that I Had to turn out the shop lights. I was there earlier and was going to go back but did not make it.  It is COLD  but brilliant with a full moon.
Check out some of the other track layout Books by Atlas One of them has an appendix of track design configurations unfortunatley done before there #8 turnoff came out. John II

Robertj668

JohnII

Thank you.  I have an amazon gift card and maybe these will be on there.

Robert

Jhanecker2

Atlas does make a 12-1/2 degree cross over . Actually I am planing to build pair of #6 Double crossovers for one of my passenger stations . Very loosely based on the Chicago Union Station it would have four terminating tracks each North & South , and at least one through station track and probably two by pass tracks eventually feeding through the double crossovers to a two track mainline. It is doable , expensive  ,but doable. The Prototype is only partially visible today. The Headhouse is supposed to have additional Stories added to it and tracks have had their airrights built over decades ago. John II