News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Proto 2000 GP30 not running and smoking

Started by Michigan Railfan, January 03, 2010, 09:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

The red wire ends with a washer shaped piece of copper. This screws into the weight as the truck lead. I live in Massachusetts, can mail it whenever you need it.
Alex

Michigan Railfan

pdlethbridge, the gray wire just starts at the pin plug and goes straight to the connector clip on top of the motor. Also, like I said, the red wire is'nt connected to anything, other than the pin plug.
GG, theres no copper piece on the end of the red wire. It just randomly ends, as if it had been ripped out of something. Not sure what I should do with this engine, since I can't get it running. I'll probably just e-mail Walthers, since they make life-like, and see if they say if there's an easy way to fix this engine. If not, then I'm not sure what I'll do with this loco. I might just get a whole new chassis, as the shell is in good condition, and salvage as much as I can out of the old chassis.

pdlethbridge

If the engine is a DCC equipped engine, than what I said would apply. If it is not, them tracing the wires, which way they go and what they are connected to is what you should do. Without lights you only need a couple of wires. One side of the motor to one side of the wheels front and back and the other motor wire connects to the other wheels. The circuit board is probably for the lights and directional control of them. If this helps, let us know.

Guilford Guy

It should run from the 8pin jumper and screw into the top of the frame. Do you see an unused screw hold that it got taken out of. If not just solder the red wire back to the frame.
Alex

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Guilford Guy on January 05, 2010, 09:20:26 PM
It should run from the 8pin jumper and screw into the top of the frame. Do you see an unused screw hold that it got taken out of. If not just solder the red wire back to the frame.
I can't seem to find any unused screw holes. Where would I solder the wire back to the frame? Just anywhere on the frame?

Guilford Guy

On the top of the weight. It would be really helpful if you could get a picture of the circuit board and surrounding area.
Alex

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Guilford Guy on January 06, 2010, 07:42:53 PM
On the top of the weight. It would be really helpful if you could get a picture of the circuit board and surrounding area.
I'll get pictures of the whole inside of the engine once I go back to my friends house and take pictures with his good quality camera. I would take pics with my camera, but its terrible. I should have pictures up this weekend. Hopefully.