Bachmann #22899-82712 EL SD-45 DCC--how to add sound?

Started by DuceNova, January 04, 2010, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuceNova

I haven't taken the shell off yet but I'd like to know IF there are terminals on the DCC board for a speaker or not?  If not, what are my options to put sound in them?

John

THB-DAVE

Hi John: you will need a sound decoder with speaker. The existing decoder in your engine is non-sound.

Dave

ABC

Yeah you will need to purchase a new decoder with speaker and baffle separately, and you may need to do some work to make room for the speaker and baffle or use a smaller speaker that will give you not as high quality sound.

rich1998

Here is what the loco looks like inside. you will have to remove the pc board which is the decoder.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H827X_IS002-DCC.PDF

i did this with a small Spectrum diesel. I took out the decoder board and made a board out of 30" styrene about the same size as the decoder board. i  I put a PC board from radio Shack with copper strips on it for the wires. I hard wired a decoder and stuffed the speaker up in the shell. You might have more room here for a speaker than I had.
i had to use a couple 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistors for the led's.

I like this kind of challenge so it was not difficult for me. your mileage may vary.

Lex

DuceNova

Any recommendatins for a sound (only) decoder?  Room inside the shell is at a premium too.  I have another one of these apart (EL road number#3611 Bachman #82702) and a 1" speaker DEFINATELY won't fit!  I have another decoder with a hard wired in speaker that is .790" (20 mm?) that BARELY fits.

I looked on Tonys Trains for sound only decoders and they're within $30 of a complete decoder unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.

rich1998

Contact Bruce at Litchfield and contact Tony's using email ask them if they have a drop in for this loco. better chance you will get a good answer. Here most of us are guessing at best. i have only two small spectrum diesel installs. i do not use dual decoders. i have done about 6 steam installs.

litchfield.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/
bruce answers me a lot.

you already have Tony's site. You can even call these people.

lex