News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

software for decals

Started by bussy65, December 29, 2009, 05:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bussy65

Following up on the discussion regarding changing lettering on rolling
stock, is there software and or label products for making such changes.

Thanks---Jack

JohnR

All you need is a program that lets you type, and select font and type size.  There are products out there that will let you create a "decal" on a PC printer.  You can't get white though (unless you have access to an obsolete Alps printer).

Woodland Scenics has a whole range of letters, numbers and fonts in various colors including white.  These are dry transfers, so you'll need to apply them by rubbing individual letters or numbers.

There are also businesses that will create custom water-slide decals and custom dry transfers.  This is a pricier way to go but you will get exactly what you want.

-John

NMWTRR

Actually there is a new prodcut out called hobbycal inkjet water slide decal paper. If you follow the directions you can get white.  However, you can't use decal solvent that helps the decal snug to the contours.  Also you can't spray it with dullcote but the paper is less shiny and more flat. Both the decal solvent and the dullcote will make the white change to clear.

I use several programs like power point to create the graphic and then print it out. 

C.S.R.R. Manager

I use a font called Railroad Roman, mostly, which you can find with a Google search.  Then I use Microsoft Publisher to layout the page, which I then have printed onto decal paper by a friend with an old ALPS printer.  These had an option for white ink. although they are getting fairly rare, having been discontinued years ago.

I do prefer the waterslide decals over dry transfers, as the letters themselves are quite thin, and once they have been assaulted with solvent, are quite easy to work into the wood grain.

Manager.

bussy65

Thanks guys, I appreciate the imput.

Jack