News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crossover turnouts

Started by arbasu, December 13, 2009, 07:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbasu

1. Are the crossover turnouts only available for long base trains? for $60 ???
2. Do these come with a switch? (like the regular turnouts). If so then do they 2 switches for the two ends of the turnout?

Pardon the basic questions.

Jim Banner

Crossovers introduce "S" curves into the railroad.  These are left turns followed immediately by right turns or right turns followed immediately by left turns.  They can cause locomotives and rolling stock to derail, particularly if they have body mounted couplers and/or they are backing up.  The S curves are more gentle with the longer turnouts, so even though a person might use #4 turnouts or 18" radius turnouts on the rest of the layout, he/she will probably want to use the longer #6 turnouts for crossovers or use a #6 crossover.  At $60, the price may seem a little steep but keep in mind you are buying two turnouts and longer ones at that.  Just be glad your track plan does not call for a double crossover (4 turnouts and a crossing.)

I am not sure if a crossover comes with 1 control switch or two for operating it.  That you even ask the question makes me think that you already realize that it would be nice to throw them both at once.  After all, there is never going to be a time when you want to throw just one of them.  To throw them both with one control switch, splice two turnout connectors together to make a Y.  The tail of the Y goes to the control switch as usual and the two tops go to the two switch motors.  If they don't throw the way you want them to, turn over the plug at just one of the switch motors.

No apologies are necessary for any questions.  As far as I am concerned, no question is ever too basic when you need the answer.  There are only good questions and bad questions.  Good questions are ones you ask and get answers.  Bad questions are ones you did not ask and so have no answers.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

crossovers come with two switches but Jim have made a intresting suggesting about splicing them together
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lwmlwm44

I have 2 pairs of the Bachmann EZ Crossover swtiches on my bench.........all DCC and have had little trouble with them    Both ends switch at the same time when activated on the control unit.

On rare occasions sometimes a switch seems to not want to work......................found out that by turning the power off to the control unit and turning it back on rectifies the problem    For some reason the only switch that does this is the one assigned to address 1........................the switches on addresses 2 to 6 have never had this issue.

Larry

full maxx

not only has Jim made an interesting point, I have decided to do it so I only have to buy 1 extension cable to wire 2 crossovers/4 switches...both are done
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com