News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing DCC in UP720

Started by Edo, January 09, 2010, 03:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edo

We have a Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation Item 11411 and would like to install DCC with sound.
Any suggestions?

ABC

Get a tsunami sound decoder (they sound great), note that the speaker and baffle are sold separately. It will run you in the range of $100 give or take depending on which model you get and where you buy it from.

Edo

Many thanks for the replies. We have the 4 inch tender.

rich1998

A little more info.
http://dccshopper.com/tonystips/2006/051106b.htm
Don't forget to clip the capacitor, might be two capacitors.

I do not know how much current the motor draws but I have put the micro tsunami in the 4-4-0 and 4-6-0. they do not draw over 0.5 amp. The micros can handle 0.75 amp and are a little smaller than the standard tsunami.

note, you will have to solder a 8 pin nmra connector to plug in the decoder or hard wire which can be a challenge if you do not solder things.
If you cut back the shrink on the tsunami, there is a 9 pin JST connector. Unplug the connector with wires and buy a 8 pin to 9 pin adapter.
If any issues with the decoder, there is a very active Yahoo soundtraxx dcc group.

The Tsunami you install yourself has more features than the Spectrum locos with factory installed tsunami.
Lex

Edo

Would seem easier to solder on an 8 pin connector.  Thank you.

rich1998

Quote from: Edo on January 09, 2010, 08:24:12 PM
Would seem easier to solder on an 8 pin connector.  Thank you.

If you use the Micro-Tsunami solder 8 pin connector.

If you use the standard tsunami, cut back the shrink just enough and use the following adapter after pulling out the connector with wires or solder 8 pin connector.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=999003139&cat=76&page=1

spend some time at the litchfield site to familiarize yourself with the various dcc items.
Litchfield has free shipping over 75.00.

good luck

lex

Edo

Thanks Lex. I did spend some time on their site.
Ed