EZ Track Remote Turnout and Bachmann Trains Digital Commander Ready-to-Run DCC-E

Started by jcarli00, January 07, 2010, 09:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarli00

I'm new to trains, so be easy on me.  I purchased for my 9 year old son a Bachmann Trains Digital Commander Ready-to-Run DCC-Equipped HO Train Set for Christmas.  The set has the 2 DCC engines, and my son loves it.  Over the weekend we picked up a book to make a much larger set, and the new layout includes the Remote Turnout Left (44561)and Right ...in fact 2 of each style turnout.  How can I wire these turnouts to work with my 10 button digital commander?  Will it work, or do I have to purchase a new controller?  Thanks in advance for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ABC

I suggest you use either an old power pack or if necessary buy a standard Dc/analog power pack and use the AC output to power your turnouts. The problem with the DCC controller is that although you could theoretically use it to power your turnouts when running 2 engines simultaneously you will run out of amps which will cause both trains to stop or slow down a lot when you throw turnouts.

Cody J

I agree with ABC on this. For my new DCC layout using EZ-Command my turnouts will be regular DC/analog and will be powered using my old DC controller. Simply plug the DC controller in to the wall outlet and plug the switch wires in to the accessory slot, don't plug the DC controller into the track.

hope this helps,
cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jcarli00

what do I ask for at the hobby store (any specific brand), and how much am I looking at spending for this new piece of equipment?  Thanks again.

jc

ripvanwnkl

Hi JC,

I use EZ Command and EZ track with multiple turnouts.  I use an MRC Railpower 1300 Model Train Powerpack for HO and N gauge) to power all the turnouts with the "Accessories AC" connections.  I bought mine new five years ago for @$25.00.  MRC and other manufacturers, including Bachmann, make other DC powerpacks with AC connections which should work fine with your turnouts.   You don't need anything expensive to run turnouts. 

Good Luck,
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Robertj668

jcarli00
This was my sons first train set too!
I currently use the DCC switches that Bachmann offers.  It is a little tricky to operate them with the EZ Command Controller. You can program I think up to 9 switches of the DCC type. I do have the same problem with the engine pausing when I operate a switch. But the DCC switches do not require any wiring.

Robert

Doneldon

You can use just about any small power pack on a closeout at your LHS or ebayto power your turnouts.