News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to Pacific Flyer locomotive

Started by ebrgt62, January 10, 2010, 10:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebrgt62

Is the locomotive that comes with the beginners Pacific Flyer set upgradable to DCC?

ABC

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that although it is upgradable to DCC it may require some milling or other work to fit a decoder that you like in the locomotive.
However, you can send it in to Bachmann service and for a fee they will do it for you, and all you would need to do is add a small decoder. My advice to you is to not even bother though because the engine is not worth the time and/or money for the upgrade. The locomotive does not have an 8-pin socket, so you have to be good with wiring the electrical components and ensuring everything is connected to the right place, and that the motor is isolated otherwise you'll ruin your decoder and you'll need to buy a new one. Also are you good with a soldering iron (kind of need one of these)?
If your more of a novice I would not attempt it, but if you feel you are experienced enough then by all means install the decoder, ultimately its your railroad and you can do what you want.

Jim Banner

while steamers are not the easiest locomotives for first time installations, many people have successfully done them.  If you can follow instructions and either know how to solder or are willing to spend the time to learn, chance of success are good.  You may run into some space problems if you install the decoder in the locomotive but there should be plenty of space in the tender.  If you want sound along with your DCC, I would highly reccommend putting at least the speaker in the tender.  That way you can use the tender shell itself as a sealled speaker enclosure for improved sound volume and quality.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

I have put a digitrax dz125 decoder in a Mantua 0-6-0T. I had to isolate one motor connection from the frame remove a wire going to a pickup on the left side. Those two connections connect to the red and black wires on the decoder. the motor terminals connect to the grey and orange wires.
the headlight is 12 volt bulb and connects to the yellow and white wire for one lead, and the blue wire for the other lead. this keeps the headlight on in forward or reverse.
I did measure the motor current. About 0.6 amps.
Your mileage may vary.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125.php

Lex

ABC

If you really want an 0-6-0 UP loco with DCC, and do not want to have to do all that work, I'd suggest the Steam Digital Commander.

Or the E-Z Command® DCC System with DCC-Equipped UP Steam Locomotive

Steam Digital Commander Link
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-DIGITAL-COMMANDER-STEAM-UP-HO-TRAIN-SET-00502_W0QQitemZ200426560465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item2eaa5a9bd1

BACHMANN DIGITAL COMMANDER STEAM UP HO TRAIN SET 00502

Item condition:   C-10 Mint - Brand New
Time left:   6 days 6 hours (Jan 16, 201019:58:39 PST)
Quantity:   More than 10 available
Price:   US $115.00   Buy It Now
Shipping:   $15.00UPS Ground
Estimated delivery within 4-9 business days
Returns: 14 day money back, buyer pays return shipping |

Only the 0-6-0 UP loco with DCC Link
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-0-6-0-DCC-UNION-PACIFIC-TRAIN-00502-Steam-Loco_W0QQitemZ370317947471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5638ab724f

BACHMANN 0-6-0 DCC UNION PACIFIC TRAIN 00502-Steam Loco
Item condition:   C-9 Factory New-Brand New
Time left:   1 day 6 hours (Jan 11, 201019:45:45 PST)
Bid history:   13 bids
Current bid:   US $24.50   
Shipping:   $11.00 Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Returns:   14 day money back, buyer pays return shipping |

rich1998

To add to what ABC said, the favorite spot on ebay has this set for 115 plus 15 shipping. , buy it now. He is a good seller.
Litchfield has the decoder for about $20 and about 3 dollars for shipping.
Your choice.

Lex

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on January 10, 2010, 12:04:11 PM
The short answer is yes. The long answer is that although it is upgradable to DCC it may require some milling or other work to fit a decoder that you like in the locomotive.
However, you can send it in to Bachmann service and for a fee they will do it for you, and all you would need to do is add a small decoder.

I was totally unaware that the Bachmann Service Dept. installed DCC decoders. I will get ahold of someone there to check out their prices.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 10, 2010, 05:21:35 PM
Quote from: ABC on January 10, 2010, 12:04:11 PM
However, you can send it in to Bachmann service and for a fee they will do it for you, and all you would need to do is add a small decoder.
I was totally unaware that the Bachmann Service Dept. installed DCC decoders. I will get ahold of someone there to check out their prices.
They do not install decoders, they can convert the 0-6-0 to DCC "Ready", where all you would need to do is pop in a decoder, that's what they told me when I inquired about my UP 0-6-0 with vandy tender.
Also this only applies to items purchased new from Bachmann that are under warranty. The fee to convert it to DCC was like $30.
Also, I'm not sure if you get the same loco back or if they send you a new DCC version one, but without the decoder. (they didn't say)

Doneldon

Lenz makes some decoders which are so tiny they will fit almost anywhere.  I put one in the Bachmann track service set and it works just fine.  I'd try the handcar, too, but that's just too tiny.