News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale size

Started by new2trains, January 11, 2010, 04:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2trains

I had a HO scale train set that I played with while growing up (actually my fathers), and remember the fun I had with it.  Now, two plus decades later, I am getting back into it to introduce my son to the hobby.  I have always been a multi hobby person and have always wanted to put up a train layout.  Now that he is old enough not to just grab and tear things up, I am doing the layout.  I have a couple of books introducing me to the EZ track system, wow, the technology has come along way in 20 plus years.  My question is about scale size.  how do I figure the size of road size, sidewalk width and height in corolation to the size of the buildings and other comercially available diaroma?

pdlethbridge

Woodland scenics makes a kit for road and sidewalk making. Great teaching tool
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/LK952/page/1

new2trains

thanks, that information was useful.

jward

ho scale is 1:87. that means one inch equals 7' 3" in HO scale. given that, a 2 lane road should be about 2 1/2" to 3" and a sidewalk about 3/4"...

bridges over roads should have 2" of clearance, if they are less they need little signs warning of low overhead clearance.

fences should be 1/2" to 3/4" high.

a standard doorway should be about 3/8" wide by 7/8" tall.

note that these measurements are approximate, and should be close enough to look right.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

THB-DAVE

The best thing to do is go to a Model Train shop and buy an HO scale ruler. It will save you a lot of time and will be more accurate. I couldn't  live without mine.

Dave

Woody Elmore

You can also use one eighth inch to a foot  - this is a tad undersize but for road width and things like that, it works well. Using that as a measure, one inch would be eight feet.

Your best bet is to purchase a scale rule.  If you have a ruler with both inches and metric, use the metric scale - 7 mm would be 2 feet. Again, you often have to approximate but scenery items can be fudged a bit.