News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command Center

Started by mainejazz, January 12, 2010, 03:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainejazz

Why after I unplug from the wall socket does the EZ Command Center NOT boot right back up when I plug it into the wall again.  I have checked for short circuits and open circuits etc with a meter and nothing appears wrong with the track or the locomotive.  After leaving it plugged in for 5 to 10 minutes it suddenly springs to life and I have done nothing...I am new to this but have an electronics background so I understand a little....Help!!! ??? ???

Jim Banner

Here are some random thoughts on the subject:

How soon after you unplug do you plug back in?  The circuit may include some sort of Power On Reset which requires the filter capacitors to discharge before it can to its job.

Are you operating near maximum capacity just before you unplug?  Cycling the power might just send the unit into thermal overload.  This is more common with units that use forced air cooling, which the E-Z Command does not.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mainejazz

Hi Jim, thanks for the response.

The first question you posed maybe the right answer.  I do notice when unplugging that the LED's dim down to off over a 3-4 second period indicating the symptom as you described. I had occasion to unplug it while I made some track changes and plugged back in after 4 or 5 minutes, which was when I first noticed the problem.  No I am not operating anywhere near maximum this is a new set up for me my first (since childhood) venture into model railroads.

The E-Z command center instructions say if you have a short or something that causes it to overload and shut down, unplug it wait for 2 minutes and let it reset itself, then plug back in.  So you see why I am confused.

Have a good day!