News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie turnout problems

Started by cglue, January 13, 2010, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cglue

I am new to building a model train setup so please bare with me with some of the questions I know I'm going to ask.  Here is one of my first major problems.
I have two left turnouts and two right turnouts connected together so as to connect an inner track and an outer track.   When I run the train different cars derail.  I'm having a very hard time figuring out what is happening.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to put this together on a 4 X 8 layout for my two kids.  The frogs are plastic.
These are the turnouts I'm using.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=194
Product Code: 44561
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=195
Product Code: 44562

Thanks for any help.

Acceletracker

I am fairly new as well but I have been doing some research for a new layout. What you are trying to make is a Crossover (see #44575 or #44576). The derailing is caused by the "s" curve that the two switches make. The crossover has a slighter turn into a straight section. The general rule is 9" of straight between opposing turns. I have learned a lot just by reading the others post! Hope this helps.

cglue

ABC

QuoteDo I need to purchase these crossovers?
Yes, those would create a much more ideal situation less prone to derailments. The #6 crossovers by Bachmann would enable you to crossover at higher speeds and with longer locomotives and cars.

CG04

One piece of straight track between the two turnouts certainly would be a lot cheaper.  It will alter the inner track though.

Clif

ABC

Although it would be cheaper to use a 9" straight, if you are running cars or locomotives greater than about 80' then you may still have problems and going in reverse will not help the situation.
What turnouts do you currently have standard turnouts (18" radius), #4, #5, or #6?

cglue

Quote from: ABC on January 13, 2010, 01:59:42 PM
What turnouts do you currently have standard turnouts (18" radius), #4, #5, or #6?

I need to check tonight but I believe they are 18" radius #5.

ABC

It can't be both 18" and #5.
Does it look like this (standard turnout (18"))?

like this (#5 turnout)?

or like this (#6 turnout)?

(Reminder to self Bachmann does not make #4s)

cglue

It is the first one.  The 18 inch.  I have to go for a while but I'll check this site tonight when I get home.  Thanks for all the help.

ABC

That's alright. Any ways what is your longest car or locomotive? As long as it around 60' or less you should be fine with just adding a 9" straight.
Now if you have one of these (which happens to be one of my longest cars) then you'll definitely want to go with #6 crossovers. Per Atlas it says the minimum radius is 24", but 28" for appearance. On my layout luckily I have a minimum radius of 24", but my minimum is about 30" on all my mainlines. For some reason I'm attracted to the longer rolling stock.

*Image is the property of Atlas Trains and I am not claiming it as my property.

cglue

I am still having problems even after adding a nine inch straight piece on the turnouts.  I have ordered the crossovers as suggested.  I do hope it works.
Here are some pictures.  Please over look the mess.  I keep trying different trains on the layout.  The small Thomas train does well on the turnouts.

You can click on the thumbnail pictures to see it larger.

ABC

Maybe the 18" radius was too sharp, are you curves 18" radius or larger (ie 22")

cglue

The curves say 18" R 30 degrees on the bottom of it.

Again I'm a newbie to all this.  Thanks for all your input...it is greatly appreciated.

I hope to find a track setup that my kids will like and have fun with.  When I find a good layout I hope to make it permanent so we can build the scenery.  I was wanting two loops so that they can run two trains at the same time.

Michigan Railfan

This has happened to me a couple of times. On the pictures of the derailed cars, were the cars headed towards the camera?
Quote from: cglue on January 14, 2010, 07:06:38 PM
I was wanting two loops so that they can run two trains at the same time.

Did you want the two trains to be powered by the same power supply? If they are, they will go the same speed, and a little slower than running just one at a time. If you want the two trains to run off of their own power supply, then you will have to find isolators. I can suggest this website for the lowest prices I've seen.  http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

full maxx

here is mine with 2 #6 crossovers
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com