News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale dcc?????

Started by pitper, January 06, 2010, 04:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitper

I have several sd-45 engines marked DCC ready.  My problem is no one knows what DCC decoder to use.  If they are DCC ready what decoder are they ready for?  Plus are they ready for decoders with sound?

ABC

N scale dcc engines marked dcc ready, still require you to do some work and hard wire the decoder. So, the short answer is any N scale decoder should be fine, but it would be extremely difficult to fit a sound decoder in a "stock" SD-45. Note that the Bachmann HO decoders, and most other HO decoders will not fit in your loco.

fieromike

Digitrax makes a decent 2 function hard wired decoder in the DZ125 model.  NCE, TCS, and several others sell decoders that can be used.  You want to shop for decoders that the mfgrs claim as Z scale if possible.  This is a case where smaller is better.

keithwarltier

Dear Bach-man,

Could you please let me know if the 36-558 6 pin decoder will accept DC and pass it through to the motor?

Regards,
Keith Warltier

the Bach-man

Dear Keith,
Our N Scale DCC Ready locos have solder points, as a pin/socket assembly won't fit inside. Any decoder will accept the DCC signal; that's what they decode. The issue is the size of the decoder relative to available space and whether your loco is DCC ready.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r0bert

keithwarltier

Dear Bach-man,

The 36-558 6 pin decoder plugs into Bachmann Farish steam engines.
My question is about DC input and not DCC.

Regards,
Keith