E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System and DCC turnouts

Started by marti091, January 18, 2010, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marti091

New to DCC and just purchased E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System. Would like to buy DCC turnouts. Can you control these turnouts with this control system?

the Bach-man

Dear Marti,
Yes, you can. They are controlled by Function 9.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

glavdog

Thanks for your help here.   I bought the Bachmann starter EZ track in nickel, and am about to buy the DCC EZ Command unit and engines.   The track pack came with green wired turnouts, but I see you also have DCC turnouts.  How are these different, and how do I wire these into the control.   I read where you said the command DCC system controls these with a function, but its not clear on where these wire in, and again, the difference in the turnouts being the green wired ones in this set and the DCC ones.   Thanks.

TrainArts

I thought I'd ask this question in this thread rather than starting a new one.

You know how the standard Bachmann turnout matches up with a 30 degree 18" radius curve so well?

Do the #5 and #6 turnouts match up with any standard Bachmann curves? Like maybe a #5 is a 22.5 degree 22" radius and a #6 is like a 26" curve?

Note to the guys above, the standard bachmann turnout, dcc or 12v, is too tight a curve for some equipment, like long passenger cars.

I can't find the curvature specs for #5 and #6 turnouts anywhere, hopefully someone knows before I order them.

Thanks.

TrainArts

Oh, and for glavdog, you don't wire them in, they get their signals through the track like locomotives do.

You can continue to use the standard turnouts on a DCC layout, but of course they need to be wired separately and won't respond to any DCC signals.

To operate the DCC turnouts, you press locomotive button #9, then function, and then the button for each numbered turnout.

There is a programming mode on the DCC turnouts so you can set the number.

ABC

Quote from: TrainArts on January 19, 2010, 06:04:07 PM
Do the #5 and #6 turnouts match up with any standard Bachmann curves? Like maybe a #5 is a 22.5 degree 22" radius and a #6 is like a 26" curve?
I can't find the curvature specs for #5 and #6 turnouts anywhere, hopefully someone knows before I order them.
No, the #5 and #6 turnouts have no direct connection with any radius curves. Although, I believe Joe Satnik had a good method for making one of them work with 22" radius. For every 6 inches a #6 turnout goes in this (->) direction it goes 1 inch in this direction (^) for the divergent route.