News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie turnout problems

Started by cglue, January 13, 2010, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

Quote from: cglue on January 14, 2010, 07:06:38 PM
The curves say 18" R 30 degrees on the bottom of it...
I am trying to put this together on a 4 X 8 layout for my two kids...
Here's the problem, I was going to suggest that you build an inner oval using 22" radius track and an outer oval with 24" radius track, but then you'll have trouble getting it to fit.
But the regular curves are not causing you any problems right? If the 18" radius curves are okay I suggest you leave the curves and just take out the crossover and power the two loops separately, unless you really wanted a crossover in which case go with the #6 crossovers.

cglue

ABC...the 18" curves do fine it is the turnouts that give the problem.  I've ordered the crossover which are suppose to arrive Tuesday.  I would like to be able to switch tracks.

Tonight I was able to run the train set that came with the original Atlas set with just about flawless problems.  The 9 inch straight is still in the turnouts.  I kept adding a car at a time and found one of my southern hopper cars go straight and derail.  The track also has some bounce in spots because it isn't fastened down yet and this cause one particular car to come uncoupled.

IndianaJones12 I'm not sure what I'm going to do about isolating the tracks or just run both at the same time.  I have only put a little thought towards that.  Right now I'm have just been thinking about a track layout that the kids can have fun with...or a least their DAD can ;D.  Yes, the derailed car should have been coming toward the camera.

full maxx......thanks for the picture.

Thanks again guys for your input.

Acceletracker

There it is! I had seen FM's picture on another thread and thought you might like to see it. I am glad he posted again. Question is how long of a car does he run and does he have any derailments?

full maxx

the biggest engine is the Berkshire and the NYC explorer set passenger set cars , and they don't like the 18 but they will take it most of the time
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

cglue

I posted this on the wrong thread last night...this is where it should go

The crossovers came in yesterday.  I took the other turnouts out and added the crossovers to have twin tracks like full maxx.  All the trains I have put on the tracks work great going through the crossovers.  Thanks for all the input.