News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC locos

Started by Larry48, January 22, 2010, 03:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry48

I am working on my first DCC layout (bacmann DCC). does any one have a suggestion of which inexpensive  3 or 4 DCC locos I should begin with? in addiion, is it better to purchse just te locos or matching cars for the loco?  thanx  larry

ABC

The 2-8-0 Consolidation is a good choice steam wise. As is the GE 45 ton switcher for diesel. These two are both very smooth and solid runners, I'd rather have two great engines as opposed to 4 marginal engines. If you are a fan of big steam and have radius sizes of 24" or greater get a 4-8-4 Niagara, GS4, Northern, or Class J (they can negotiate the 22" curves but there is a lot of overhang and you may have problems). They run pretty good.

jward

for low cost, you can't beat the bachmann dcc onboard locomotives. specifically, the gp40, "gp50", gp30, gp35 and ft. good reliable runners that can be found for around $50 apiece. nobody else even comes close....

the next step up the food chain, in my opinion, are the atlas trainman series. they are about $75 but you have to install a decoder yourself. they are ultra smooth and very good pullers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA