Ohio central & W&LE question...

Started by jettrainfan, January 22, 2010, 08:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

Well, I've tried W&LE down at Akron and all i got from Ohio central is steam in the valley 2007+08.

I'd like to try both of them this year, on the line(not specials and such). here is my question.

Where is the best place(and time if possible) can i catch 1 of these railroads working?

thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cody J

Hmm... Good question. I've only railfanned the Wheeling once and it was a coal train from Nelms Mine #2 to the AEP Cardinal Power Plant. It's not a normal run but I got all the info from my neightbor who's dad loads the trains there. Both the WLE and OC serve the mine. And once the WLE pulls off of the mine track and onto the main it is on the OC Panhandle Line so it goes west to Jewett, Ohio where it then enters the WLE rails to Mingo Junction where it will head south on the NS Ohio River Secondary and it will go south past the power plant then switch onto the Wheeling River Line and head north to the power plant. That's all I know of. Also, if you're ever in the Ohio River Valley in the Wheeling, Steubenville, St. Clairsville area contact me and I can show you around.
cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ABC

I always see the W&LE unit with the commemorative AC&Y logo in Akron, OH right along the freeway right where all the old yellow AC&Y boxcars used to be lined up. I saw the bicentennial and operation lifesaver units there also.
As far as the OHCR goes, on one occasion I was in Boardman, OH and they were filming an episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition and the OHCR was running across the street from where they were filming, so all the producers were getting upset because the trains were running some scrap and some other stuff from a construction site pretty much all day. And to top it off there were two gondola's that I saw go by which actually were on fire (I guess the scrap load somehow caught on fire), so the filming was interrupted yet again when the fire trucks had to come down the street they were filming on, but it was blocked by "the Bus" and other equipment from the show. Well they moved the bus prematurely so the trucks could pass and they stopped the 2 cars on fire right over the grade (Railroad crossing) and hosed them down. They sure picked a horrible (good for me-lots of action) day to film the show.

jward

the wheeling has their main shops and hub in brewster, oh..... i am not familiar with how they run out there. in pittsburgh, they usually have a local leaving rook yard in greentree around 8 am. the line follows rt 51 and rt 88 through the south hills of pittsburgh and speeds are low so that's an easy chase.

ohio central has their main shop in morgan run, oh. i think that's near coshocton on the old pennsy panhandle line. they have satellite operations scattered at various locations including youngstown and pittsburgh. as a side note, the ohcr was taken over by gennessee & wyoming a couple of years ago. you might want to make this railroad a priority before everything gets painted orange and black.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA