Atlas HO GP38 with nmra 8-Pin socket

Started by marti091, January 24, 2010, 06:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marti091

I bought this Atlas Master Locomotive - Silver series Aberdeen and Rockfish Road number #400. I inserted a TCS  1022 (T1P-MH) decoder. I follwed e-z command instructions for progamming user inserted decoder. Everything went as instructed included the train clicking at the right time. However does not run. Runs when remove decoder. Help?

ABC

It could be because TCS is not entirely compatible with DCC.

marti091

What type of decoder works well on E-Z command. Thanks

fieromike

Quote from: ABC on January 24, 2010, 07:08:33 PM
It could be because TCS is not entirely compatible with DCC.

TCS decoders areas DCC compatible as it gets.  Excellent quality and goof-proof warranty.
http://www.tcsdcc.com/

ABC

For example:
Aspects of the Hornby DCC range are not compatible or selectively compatible with TCS decoders. The Hornby Select and Elite may have issues with TCS decoders depending on when they were manufactured; and both the DCC power tack and standard power clip may cause problems. It appears that the Hornby apparatus distorts the signal received by the input stages of the decoder outside the pure NMRA specifications of the TCS decoder.

But this sounds like a problem isolated to Hornby controllers.

BradKT

Quote from: marti091 on January 24, 2010, 09:02:41 PM
What type of decoder works well on E-Z command. Thanks

I use an EZ-Command DCC setup and I have used Digitrax DCC decoders with all of my Atlas engines...and I have about 10  of them.  They are very easy to install and no problems. 

You can get your decoders pretty cheaply from Tony's Trains.  I bought all of my DCC decoders for my Atlas and Athearn engines from them.  Try their web site...it's easy to find.  They have an excellent and easy to use DCC decoder selection guide for Digitrax DCC decoders for all types of DC or DCC-compatible engines, including Atlas.  If you own several engines, they give you a discount if you buy 4 of more.

Digitrax decoders have very easy to follow instructions for installation.