News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engineering Programs

Started by Cody J, January 21, 2010, 01:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

Well I don't know where I saw this but I read or saw somewhere that there are like 14 colleges in the US that have locomotive engineering programs. I think Penn State was one. I know I'm a long way from college, I'm only 13 and in 8th grade, but this is really bugging me. But does anyone know where I can get more info on these programs?

Thanks,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

CNE Runner

Cody - Pick up a copy of Trains magazine...they will have a couple of ads for trainmen schools. I had a client, some years ago, who wanted to become a railroad engineer. He attended one of these trade schools ('sorry but I don't remember which one). As we speak he is running priority freight for the BNSF (running Dash 9s I think). The pay, and benefits, are outstanding; BUT this is not the best choice for a family man. My ex-client is away from home for fairly long periods of time.

I hope this helps...good luck with your future career,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Cody J

Thanks. I think i saw it in a train magazine and I looked through the recent magazines and didnt see anything

CNE Runner

The way this forum works is you have a question/need and we try to answer/satisfy. I check my memory banks (which at my age are more like sand hills) and remembered part of the name of the institution. A quick Google search revealed the Modoc Academy. Here is their URL:
I remember my client having good things to say about this place. Incidentally, they also have a good job placement department.

Ray

Cody J

Thanks for the reply, Ray. I found what I was looking for last night when I was going through some old issues of Trains Magazine. It was in the November 2009 issue on page 61.

Here's what it says incase anybody is interested:
"Pennsylvania State University at Altoona will launch a four-year degree in rail and transit engineering with a $100,000 donation from Norfolk Southern Railway. The program will encompass existing civil engineering courses, plus courses in rail business, mechanical systems, track, operations, communications, and regulation. Penn State's program adds it to a short list of universities nationwide, which includes Michigan Technological University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, to offer railroad engineer majors."

Cooped

Cody,

it's never too early to think about what career you want. Be careful about the meaning of the word 'Engineer' here though. Normally (at least here in the US) when the words engineer and train are used in the same sentence it is refering to the person who actually drives the train. However according to the Merriam Webster's collegiate dictionary, engineering is defined as the 'application of science and mathematics by which the properties of matter and the sources of energy in nature are made useful to people'.

The new Penn State course you found is essentially civil engineering with a railroad twist (the science and math stuff in other words). So what you need to do is figure out for yourself if you want to drive trains or build railroads. Then you need to investigate what you need to do for the rest of your time in school in order to accomplish this. If you want to go down the math and science route, obviously math and science may be a little more important.

Don't forget about mechanical engineering also. That could easily lead into designing and building locomotives and rolling stock.

Oh, and life is never just work, so also think about what Ray said, driving trains is not as family friendly as other careers. You could be away from home for long stretches at a time.

Good luck.
Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

CNE Runner

That was a good point you made Dan...I thought Cody was talking about a train engineer! In the old days (1800s and early 1900s) the person that operated the engine was called a Runner. The term 'engineer', as it applied to steam engine operation, was usually reserved for stationary engines (such as power plants, ships, and mining).

Good luck in your career choice anyway Cody,
Ray

Cody J

I was talking about a train engineer?

Cooped

In which case the course for you would be the one Ray found, the Modec Rail academy, and not the Penn State course.

Best of luck, you'd be living the dream of many.
Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Good clarification on these points !  RR engineers I have met talk about being constantly "on call," being called away from family events, holidays, etc. and not being able to drink a beer for fear of being fired.  Another client, a retired conductor on the Pennsy ---> Penn Central ---->NS has a son who was running the helpers up the Curve, when the lead engineer somehow ran into the back of another train westbound.  ALL employees  of the second train were fired by NS, including the guy at the rear.  Eventually he was reinstated, but it was not for several months. Not sure if he was paid, but presume not.

This is not to discourage, just another point of view.

Nevertheless, it seems like a great job for a young guy.  I suppose after several years, you get used to it, like everything else.

Best Wishes,

Jack

CNE Runner

"It's not my job to run the train,
the whistle I cannot blow.
It's not my job to say how far
the train is supposed to go.
I'm not allowed to pull the brake,
or even ring the bell.
But let the [darn] thing leave the track...
and see who catches hell!"