News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jerky GP40

Started by edsimmons, January 25, 2010, 06:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsimmons

I bought a brand new HO Bachmann (Not spectrum) UP GP40 (I think that what it was?) DCC engine to play around with and I'm finding that it's really jerky at slow speed and slow to start even with no cars. I ran the engine froward for 30 min and in reverse for 30 min to brake in the drive system and it's still really slow to start, relatively noisy and jerky at low speed is there anything I can do to make her run better? I'm using a Prodigy Advance Sq controller and I've tried adjusting the SV and nothing helps!

Thanks
Ed

ABC

A lot of people are expecting an $80 or $90 engine out of this $30 engine. But maybe just try a touch more of lubricant and see if that helps.

edsimmons

I wasn't really expecting a $80-$90 engines, just not a $15 engine. I paid $55 for this thing and I'd hoped it to preform better than this (I should have dropped another $45 and picked up a B-Mann Spectrum w/ DCC). I knew that it's no Kato but I didn't think it would be this bad, I kinda was hoping it was a mfg. defect and this the bad quality of the drive system was an isolated incident but from ABC's comments it seams that they are all like this. I'm going to take it to the next RR club meeting and see if the old timers can help me smooth her out a little. If not this will be the last "regular" Bachmann I'll buy.

Ed

ABC

All the regular line Bachmann engines run pretty good except for it seems that people haven't been satisfied with  the GP-40, GP-35, and GP-30 with DCC, however I have never had any issues with my only GP-40 with DCC, and it runs pretty smooth.

CNE Runner

Ed - I had some 'issues' with my Bachmann GP35 that were very similar to yours. As was mentioned, don't expect a less expensive locomotive to run as well as a pricey one. Having said that, the problem could be a 'coating' on the wheels. This can result from dirty track - or from the production process.

Essentially there are three major ways to clean a diesel engine's wheels:
   1.  Use an alcohol-soaked Q-tip and laboriously clean each wheel.
   2.  Take a piece of either paper towel or a USED dryer sheet and wet one end with alcohol. Place the paper product on the track such that it covers both rails. Place one power truck over the wet area of the paper and hold gently in place. Turn up the power until the wheels on the paper begin to spin. Keep doing this (in different spots on the paper) until you no longer see a residue. Turn the paper product around and do the same procedure on a dry portion of the paper...this burnishes/drys the wheels. Do the same procedure on the other power truck(s).
   3.  Use a Kadee #236 Speedi Driver Cleaner and follow the directions for use.

I have found that the GP35 runs a lot smoother after a good cleaning. Naturally my remarks imply that your track is clean and there are no electrical connection issues.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ABC

Ed, if you want a really nice locomotive from Bachmann's standard line get the 2-8-0 consolidation, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with it.

pipefitter

Ed, I have non-DCC Bachmann B23-7's and GP-40's and several DCC GP-35's and 38's. And none of them run in a jerky manner. I run them on DC. It does sound like yours has an intermittent electrical pickup problem just as Ray has described. And that's not exclusive to Bachmann locos. I frequently have a loco on the bench for diagnosis and maintenance, and they are many different types and brands. The only thing I have never been able to remedy is a buzzy motor.

I have two loops which are powered by Spectrum Magnum Premier and Ultra Plus packs. They are nice as they have analog voltage and amps meters which can show you the slightest intermittent pickup problems. My best running 8 wheel pickup models show no movement in the meter needles at all.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Larry

I bought a GP40 for christmas and had the same problem, took it back to store and got another one, this one isn't as bad but makes noise. I have other bachmann "cheap dcc engines" and have no problems with them so don't tell me I have to buy a "80-90 dollar" engine.

pdlethbridge