Coupler conversion for N-scale GE 44-ton switcher

Started by john_apw, January 25, 2010, 03:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john_apw

I have successfully converted this switcher to MT 905 (Z-scale) couplers.

1. The existing coupler screw post must be cut down, but it must not be cut flush! The 905 needs to have a slight upward angle in order to mate with normal MT N-scale couplers, so the post must be cut with a slight angle!

2. The sidewalls of the coupler pocket must be filed slightly to accept the z-scale coupler.

3. The rear of the coupler's draft box needs to be cut short by about 3/32".
-- First VERY LIGHTLY weld the upper draftbox corners together with a soldering iron - do NOT apply more than the merest touch or you could distort the box and adversely affect the clearance/seating.
-- Then, hold the draft box on its side (so you can see the internal parts), pull the internal parts outward, and slice the draft box carefully with a sharp razor.

4. Drill and tap a new hole, maintaining an angle that will point the knuckle upward. I do not use the screws provided with the z-scale couplers - they're too short for my taste. I cut down a long screw provided with n-scale 1015 couplers, and carefully restore the thread with a razor blade.

Once done, your switcher will not only look better, but can operate satisfactorily with n-scale couplers on other equipment.

Enjoy!
-John

David Leonard

I followed Chris' method, the only dfference being that I drilled out the trip pin holes to accept an N scale trip pin.

john_apw

Yup! Essentially the same process and results.

Nice photos!!! Thanks for adding them.

(I can't take such closeups without getting terrible bluring.)

-John