News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jerky 2-8-0

Started by HUDnOTOW, January 28, 2010, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUDnOTOW

I just purchased one of the new standard 2-8-0 locomotives that are called "Spectrum".   I have run it for more than 3 hours break-in and it is still very jerky running.  The power requirements to get the loco started is much higher than on my other locomotives and there is a significant "clicking" sound when in reverse.

ADVICE?

Hud

hotrainlover

I would contact the seller, and see if you can exchange it....  Or Contact Bachmann service, get a reference #, send Money, and have them fix it.

ABC

Quote from: HUDnOTOW on January 28, 2010, 02:13:49 PM
I just purchased one of the new standard 2-8-0 locomotives that are called "Spectrum".
I'm not really sure what this means... so do you have the Spectrum or the standard line 2-8-0 and who did you buy it from? -as this is key to my suggestion...

THB-DAVE

Hi Hud: The current Spectrum are DCC equiped and if you are running on DC
that would explain the high start voltage. I just picked up a Bachmann 2-8-0
recently at a train show and since I am a DC ludite I had to remove the decoder and fashion my own shorting plug to replace it so its start voltage would be the same as my other 2 Consuls. I used short lengths of solid copper wire in the plug. The clicking sound are the brass wippers on the front wheels rubbing and if they are not making proper contact this would explain the Jerking. On all my Consuls I have had to remove the bottom plate and bend out the wipers a little to make better contact especially
on curves. Also make sure your wheels and track are clean.
Dave

HUDnOTOW

This is one of the new 2-8-0 s with the DCC decoder installed.  I am running it on DCC.  This is one of the worse running locos that I have ever used.  I guess that I could take out the DCC and attempt to run it on DC and see if it is the decoder or the motor.  I feel that it is the motor as when starting from a stop it takes significantly more power to get it running than to keep it running.  This loco takes more than five times the power to get it moving than others.  I think it is the motor not starting smoothly.

Hud

HUDnOTOW

More on Jerky 3-8-0

I have taken the loco off the track and left the tender on the tracks in order to break the motor in.  All of the previous comments reflect both with the loco on the track and the loco suspended and wheels off the track.   With only the tender trucks on the track, sitting still, this means that it is not the wipers on the loco wheels.

Hud

ABC

Here's the possibilities, you had some bad luck and got a bad loco or there is something else causing unfavorable operation, or it just needs to be broken in. I have several of these all with DCC and they run great in DCC and DC, they're really smooth runners. So, it is very non-typical for this engine to be "jerky". I think that your track could possibly stand to be cleaner in which case the wheels may also need cleaning from running on track that may be dirty.