News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Expanding track layout

Started by Jayhawker, February 01, 2010, 02:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayhawker

I give my Grandson a DCC Bachmann Train Set for X-MAS. I would like to expand the existing layout with an outer  oval track connected with 2 #6 crossovers on each side of the inner. Other then the additional track and crossovers what electrical items would I need?

jonathan

Jay,

It depends...  non-descript, I know.  If you are using conventional DC power, you can put plastic rail joiners between the turnouts.  Then, you can add a second power pack, connect to the second loop... and Voila!  You (uh, your grandson) can run two trains at once, in opposite directions.  Train meets on a double-track mainline really make my day!

You said your granson's set is DCC, so you really don't need anything extra, except making sure your DCC locomotives are programmed to different addresses, so you can run your trains as above.

It's helpful to add a few extra track feeders (additional wires from your power to the track).  This eases the current flow and helps the trains run more smoothly.

It is possible to control the turnouts with the DCC system, but many recommend using a DC power pack to run them, again, for smoother operations.

Others may describe this better than I.

Hope this is helpful, anyway.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jayhawker

Jonathan,
Thanks for your response I don't understand every thing about this DCC system and  I keep reading about reverse loops and additional amps needed to expand a layout, I just wanted to know what I was getting myself  into before I started this project. I got to say its been a lot of fun tracking down all the information required to do this, I am thinking about taking back the train set for myself. 

Thank's Again

jward

as described your layout has no reversing sections. as for additional power (amps) if you are only running one or two locomotives at a time you shouldn't need more than the 1 amp i believe the ez command supplies. i do, however, strongly recommend that you have a seperate controller for each train you are running. while it is possible to toggle between trains using the dcc system they are much easier to control if each has its own speed knob.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

DCC and DC wiring  is the same, accept you do not need block switches.  Where ever you need a gap in dc you will need one in DDC.