News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Double cross over inside reverse loops

Started by Dennis, January 30, 2010, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

I have a crossover in my reverse loop so I can enter from any direction. More or less a long legged X between two tracks insulated at the ends of the legs. I use an automatic reverse loop switch by MRC. I run DCC. Can I add four turnouts at my cross so as to have two passing sidings that don't reverse with out any "problems". I cannot see any but wanted to ask before I go to tearing things up.    Thanks

Nigel

It depends on how the layout is wired.

Lets see the two tracks are side by side as they come to the loop.  If the rails closest to each other are the same polarity, you'll have problems, if they are different, you will not.
  +  -     +  -    = ok
-|--|-   -|--|-
-|--|-   -|--|-
-|--|-   -|--|-

+  -     -  +    = not ok
-|--|-   -|--|-
-|--|-   -|--|-
-|--|-   -|--|-

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jward

i am assuming you'd have your passing sidings parallel and next to the mains? if so, then yes they'd work well without any special wiring. just make sure your double insulated gaps are on the crossing side of the siding switches. in other words, for dcc your main and the two sidings should not be hooked up to the autoreverser. the two legs of the X should be hooked up to the autoreverser. the insulating gaps should be at the frog end of the 4 switches you are thinking ot adding, on the leg that goes to the reversing section.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Dennis

___________________________________________________________            \__________    ____________/
             ________   X ____________
_____/________________________\_   

This is what I have, insulated at the turn outs. I would like to add this same thing into my existing reverse 'loops' As I said I am using DCC.and an auto reverse switch that makes every thing work fine now.The Idea is to end up with two passing sidings. Sorry my drawing is the best I could do

Dennis

What a mess my drawing was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BaltoOhioRRfan

That what you are trying to do?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF