Hey bachmann, now that IHC is history, how about a GG-1!

Started by Penn_senseless, February 01, 2010, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: uncbob on February 02, 2010, 10:47:18 PM
Quote from: pipefitter on February 02, 2010, 12:00:49 PM
A real shame about IHC  :-\ They produced nice, quality locos for many years and for low prices. The latest Premier Gold line products were DCC ready, had flywheels and RP-25 wheels. I have several. They had really come into their own.

Robert

Yeah they did

My 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are great runners and lookers
Their USRA 2-8-2 and 4-8-2 were also real buys

Do not forget their 2-10-2's. These had a fair amount of detail and are excellent running engines.
Pacific Northern

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: uncbob on February 04, 2010, 08:38:10 AM
Yep all their steamers were being duplicated by the other biggies

Back in the mid 90s when I started buying their steamers the only rival was Rivarossi
More detail but more $

Unless I'm very much misinformed, I think you could say there is a bit of sad irony here. It's my understanding that once upon a time, IHC was AHM, which--how would you say it?--distributed Rivarossi in the U.S.

I'm thinking 40 years ago, here, when I was still just a lad.

ryeguyisme

I'm franky sick of seeing anything Pennsy, I hate belpaire fireboxes, if i ever had a K4 i'd probably cut the box-like look off the firebox. But as far as the GG-1, it's a model that's been outdone way too much, in my opinion they're going to try and make an engine that has wide range of roadnames.

hotrainlover

I have used several Pennsylvania engines, due to the their Fireboxes.  The GN (which I model mostly) PREFERRED this type.  There are only a few other roads that used them.  They are easy to convert to a "Believable"  model.  Just change a few details....  AND WHALLLAAA....  A GOOD close "Enough" (for me) Dependable runner!

Johnson Bar Jeff

At the risk of going OT, there must have been some perceived advantage to the Belpaire firebox, or the PRR and the GN surely would not have adopted it. Does anybody know what it was?

But. ... The appearance of the Belpaire firebox doesn't bother me so much on smaller Pennsy power, say, from before 1910, but by the time we get to the Pacifics and larger engines, I find it very unattractive. For me the B&O's "Presidential" Pacifics are much more attractive engines than the PRR's K-4s.

And that Pennsy slatted chicken-coop pilot?  :P

hotrainlover

It has something to do with being able to burn a more "Generic"or cheaper type of coal...
Knowing the GN, it probably had to do with saving on operating costs.

Chris350

yep they were burning coal that had a lower output of BTU's so they needed to burn more at any given time.  I don't know if it was economics or simply that the low BTU coal was all that was available in the region.  Consider that if you have local coal you find a way to utilize it, rather than paying to transport "better" coal from somewhere else. If you're really into it, search the BLI forums, there was a rather in depth discussion there at one point.

rogertra

The Belpaire firebox was invented by Alfred Belpaire of Belgium. It has a greater surface area at the top of the firebox, improving heat transfer and steam production.  Its rectangular shape makes attaching the firebox to the boiler more difficult, but this is offset by simpler interior bracing of the firebox.

As Only the PRR and the GN in the U.S. and only a couple of classes in Canada used the Belpaire firebox it seems an oddity to North Americans yet it was a common firebox in places like the UK, where it was used on everything from lowly 0-6-0T shunters (switchers) to the top of the line. crack 100MPH passenger locos.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on February 09, 2010, 11:54:11 AM
At the risk of going OT, there must have been some perceived advantage to the Belpaire firebox, or the PRR and the GN surely would not have adopted it. Does anybody know what it was?

Thanks to those who answered my question about the advantage of the Belpaire firebox.  :)