Hey bachmann, now that IHC is history, how about a GG-1!

Started by Penn_senseless, February 01, 2010, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn_senseless

Theres definintiely a void to be filled now that IHC is no more. You guys already have the pantographs!

At least if Bachmann made it, you could find it. cant say the same for broadway limited

Penn_senseless

if not, ill settle for another run of e-33's in NEW HAVEN orange. boy they are tough to find as well

hawaiiho

I vote for the GG-1.

I have two that are mid 70's vintage DC.

Sure would like to have a DCC.

Chris350

Quote from: Penn_senseless link=topic=12152.msg98407#msg98407 date=1265061031
. cant say the same for broadway limited
/quote]
BLI lost the tooling for the GG-1 to MTH in the settlement of a lawsuit.  The lawsuit is old news, over some arcane aspect of the industry and an overseas fabricator.  Thus you will like as not ever see another  BLI GG-1.  They are of course on Ebray.  Given that MTH has the tooling, and the cost of development, I bet not many manufacturers are going to go out on a limb for a GG, only to have MTH put one out right behind it.

Santa Fe buff

MTH is always such a bothering company. The moment Athearn releases the advertisements for their Vendera Turbine for Union Pacific, guess what MTH releases at the iHobby Expo?

A Union Pacific Vendera Turbine.

In fact, Broadway Limited Imports and MTH are immense competitors. I like to see what models they make to see what new moves and how the game goes. So far, MTH has tried to combat some recent good vibes from Broadway Limited Imports by releasing a Nickel Plate steam locomotive and a Little Joe...

Some say that the N&W J class was created just to irk the Broadway Limited people. However, no matter how much they boast the J class, the 9000 class was the real star. I saw some die-hard BLI fans pre-ordering them.

Bachmann, if you release the GG-1, please go for harder plastics with it. I want to be able to turn it silver...

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_prr4872a.jpg

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Penn_senseless

"I bet not many manufacturers are going to go out on a limb for a GG, only to have MTH put one out right behind it."

Id like a GG1 for around a hundred bucks and preferrably less. You WONT get that from MTH and its greedy owner. Im so sick of their limited runs and questionable availability. ask some people that collect their o gage stuff. They do it on purpose to enhance "collectability" and "investment". I wish theyd go do baseball cards or something.

Thats why i prefer bachmann....I can find their product from numerous sources because its out there, not coming in three years and in a lot of 50 or less.

pipefitter

A real shame about IHC  :-\ They produced nice, quality locos for many years and for low prices. The latest Premier Gold line products were DCC ready, had flywheels and RP-25 wheels. I have several. They had really come into their own.

Robert

Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Johnson Bar Jeff

Darn. I bought some parts from IHC last fall, and needed more.  :(

uncbob

Quote from: pipefitter on February 02, 2010, 12:00:49 PM
A real shame about IHC  :-\ They produced nice, quality locos for many years and for low prices. The latest Premier Gold line products were DCC ready, had flywheels and RP-25 wheels. I have several. They had really come into their own.

Robert

Yeah they did

My 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are great runners and lookers
Their USRA 2-8-2 and 4-8-2 were also real buys

RAM

I would think someone would buy IHC, and they may have already.  Any way it would be a good fit bor Bachmann.

ABC

Quote from: RAM on February 03, 2010, 09:14:46 PM
I would think someone would buy IHC, and they may have already.  Any way it would be a good fit bor Bachmann.
There's a reason why they went out of business and it all goes back to money, so why would somebody else want something that will put them in the red.

uncbob

Yep all their steamers were being duplicated by the other biggies

Back in the mid 90s when I started buying their steamers the only rival was Rivarossi
More detail but more $

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: uncbob on February 04, 2010, 08:38:10 AM
Yep all their steamers were being duplicated by the other biggies

Back in the mid 90s when I started buying their steamers the only rival was Rivarossi
More detail but more $

I had problems with some of their old-timer 4-4-0s, which made me wary of buying their locomotives, but I've never had cause to regret their modern American. It wasn't what I still would like to have, a PRR D16 "as built," and I'm guessing maybe it's oversize for scale, but I've never had any mechanical problems with it.