Fitting a sound decoder in a Spectrum Dash 8-40C - Help!

Started by carebbean, February 01, 2010, 02:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carebbean

Hi Everyone!

I have a couple of 8-40C's http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=328 that I would like to fit with a sound decoder and speaker.

It's pretty tight inside the compartment(s) under the top because of the weight "rails" that run the entire length of the loco.

Does anybody have a"solution" for fitting a decoder and speaker in there?  Any suggestions? Maybe an N scale decoder and speaker? Recommended brands?

Thanks and Blessings today

Carebbean
Blessings

ABC

You could try to do some milling and use an N scale decoder with a little speaker (that will have poor bass and overall sound).

rich1998

I recommend contacting Bruce at Litchfield Station. He is very helpful. I have done that and he did respond and recommend a best fit decoder and speaker.
The Tsunami Micro is only good for 0.75 amp current and tend to be heat sensitive. I know because I tried one in a VO-1000 diesel that is not as quite a large loco as yours. The decoder did shut down on me if I did some quick reversals while testing. The decoder had to cool down for about ten minutes.
I have to go with a standard Tsunami but the one in shrink wrap is too large.
There may be a drop in decoder that will fit on the frame. Bruce recommended one to me for my VO-1000. Not quite the right sound but close enough. You may have to go with close enough. Don't know.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

There is contact information. Bruce has the Tsunami and LokSound decoders. I use both. Both have various 16 cyl sounds. I believe those locos are 4,000 hp with turbos. Don't know about other sounds and I know both brands have quite a variety of 16  cyl sounds.
This may take some milling of the loco frame. Don't know.
Again, don't be afraid to contact Bruce.
Also, there is a Yahoo SoundTraxx and LokSound Group that both are active if any issues with the decoders that will be a help.

Good luck.

lex

carebbean

Thanks to ABC for your mention of using an N scale decoder. I'll certainly look into that, too.

lex - Thanks for the referral to Bruce. I will contact him.

Regarding the Tsunami, I learned just how many amps the dash 8 draws as I burned out one of their standard decoders in shrink wrap, sent it back because I thought it was defective. They were gracious enough to replace it, only for the same thing to happen! It didn't burn up, but just doesn't work. The shrink-wrap is still in tact. Bummer.

I also just bought a LokSound for my Alco and it runs like a charm. I love their products. I think they have a mini with a .75 dia speaker that might just fit under the framing (glue it up so as not to hit the motor shaft). The mini hopefully would fit in the cavity just behind the engineer. I have to find one first!!

All to say - thanks to both of you. I've never posted to any "board" before so I really know what to expect.

You both rock!

Blessings
visit http://www.rvchurchesusa.org
Blessings

ABC

Quote from: carebbean on February 01, 2010, 05:13:00 PM
Thanks to ABC for your mention of using an N scale decoder. I'll certainly look into that, too.
Just make sure the decoder can handle your loco like Lex said, check to see how much current it draws compared to what the decoder's specs are.

rich1998

I use the amps part of my multimeter with 12 volts dc applied and hold the loco so the drivers are slipping. Just long enough to get a steady reading. The standard tsunami is good for 1 amp peak.
The N scale SoundTraxx Micro-Tsunami is good for 0.75 amps.
The N scale LokSound Micro is good for 0.5 amp.

lex

rich1998

Another thing many people are not aware of, the DCC issue is continually evolving. DCC ready with no thought of sound.. Better and more sophisticated decoders.
Different form factors for decoders. Different sizes.
Some decoder shrink wrapped with no connector, some with 8 pin connector.
Some that are drop in or sometimes called light board decoders. Most of these are usually for diesels, with or without sound.

Locos with or without DCC on board but no thought about adding speakers for sound.
My first Spectrum's two years ago were the 4-4-0 with DCC on board but a hole ready for the speaker in the tender.
The 4-6-0 DCC ready or DCC on board,  no hole for the speaker.
Everything is continually changing.
Some people buy used off of ebay or old stock from a LHS and are disappointed because the loco is not what they thought is was because of the lack of knowledge and go into a Rant.
I have seen things change in a year or less with DCC.
Some online sites with DCC info are outdated.
Bachmann sound, the Tsunami decoders do not have all the features of a Tsunami you install yourself. People have preconceived notions that they are the same. They do not think of comparing the on line documents for the decoder specs and end up blaming the manufacturer.

Athearn locos use to have MRC sound and not very good decoders. They are now going over to factory installed Tsunami. The last I saw, the sound specs are not like a full blown Tsunami you install yourself. Might be wrong on that account as there is a lot of discussion in various forums about this issue.

Lex

carebbean

lex

Great stuff! I liked the tip on checking out the amps on the loco.

Totally agree with you on the "discounted" or Loco Mfg installed decoders. With Tsunami, you really have to know what specs they have to math to your particular equipment. I feel their decoders are very sensitive. Best to make sure one has a constant voltage and amp feed to the layout, know how many locos you'll be running and try not to run lighting and other accessories of the track power supply.

But, what do I know - I'm the rookie here! LOL  LOL

I'm out the door for a lesson on how to program CVs on my NCE Power Cab. Admittedly, I've only used the decoders to go fwd, rev, ring the bell and horn.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Blessings
www.rvchurchesusa.org
Blessings

rich1998

I use the Power Cab at home. I take the controller to our local club where we have the Power Pro and 3 amp booster. Plugs right into the system using the four wire cable. No issues.
Right now the layout is partially stopped. Converting the wiring from block control, common rail, DC to full DCC with auto reversers for three reverse loops. Needs to be done.

lex