News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building Your Locomotive roster

Started by rogertra, February 02, 2010, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

The Santa FE did lease some C&O and B&O units.  So maybe your Santa Fe leased your B&O units.

jettrainfan

Quote from: RAM on February 03, 2010, 08:58:53 PM
The Santa FE did lease some C&O and B&O units.  So maybe your Santa Fe leased your B&O units.

Wow! that's amazing, thanks for the info!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ryeguyisme

Check this bad boy out:

;D ;D ;D ;D i hope to buld up one of these, the estimated weight is over 2 lbs 9 oz.

jward

Quote from: RAM on February 03, 2010, 08:58:53 PM

when santa fe did this, to avoid number conflicts with the existing santa fe locomotives, they changed the first digit on the b&o units to 9. this 9 was applied in the standard santa fe number font, railroad roman, and it stood out because it was so different from the gothic styles used by b&o and chessie system. these locomotives were given their original numbers back upon termination of the lease, also by sanrta fe in the railroad roman font. for years, if you saw a b&o unit with a railroad roman first digit you knew it had been leased out.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Colli

My R.R. is a fictious line the Elma and Contour, it is loosely based on three lines that are all within about 30 miles of my home,  the C.N. Main Line, the C.P.R. Main Line and a line which comes up from Duluth, Minnesota into Winnipeg.  There used to be some Burlington Northern units on this line but I havn't seen any lately.  Also the Duluth Winnipeg and Pacific used to operate on that line.  Because of this last track, almost anything that hooks into B.N. is possible.  On The CPR. I have seen a number of Soo Line units, on the C.N.  I have seen older B.C. Rail units and some other short lines which operate in Manitoba. ( Central Manitoba Railway CEMR ) Hudson Bay Railway HBRY also some Omni Trax the parent company of HBRY.) I am also looking at another short line, the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway GWWD.) which operates from Winnipeg to Shoal Lake, Ontario and has been in operation since 1914 and has 92.7 miles of single line track.
So most of my units are C.N. including a 2-10-2 Light and a 4-8-2 Hvy.
2  CPR. Diesels. 1 BN. Diesel. 1 BNSF. Diesel and 1 DW&P. RS11. Diesel.

Colli at Elma and Contour.

sd24b

Quote from: rogertra on February 02, 2010, 08:55:43 PM
Sorry for re-posting the following but Pacific Northern has locked the original thread.  I re-posted this as I'm interested in how other people build their locomotive or rolling stock rosters.

First, let me make it clear that the following are my preferences and are not to be taken as criticisms of those people who do things differently.

Before I even started to build the current GER, ten years before in fact, I wrote a complete corporate history detailing all routes, acquisitions and locomotive roster up to 1972, the year I planned to model and did, until Spectrum released to 2-8-0, when that all changed. 

With one or two minor tweaks, adding a small drivered 2-10-0 and Alco RS-1s and a couple of slight history changes so as to accommodate the 2-10-0s and the RS-1s, I've pretty much stuck to that history.

The history and now from that history the locomotive roster as it would have existed in 1958, have been my guide for all locomotive purchases.

I believe in trying to make the GER as believable and as realistic as my abilities allow me.  When I compiled the GER's history, I studied the motive power of the CNR and CPR in southern Quebec and used that as a guide.  "Were locos of this type and wheel arrangement used in this region of Canada and in my era?" were the questions I asked myself.  If the answer was "Yes", then I could add them to my GER roster.  However, even then, I left some types off the list as being too uncommon. CLC (Baldwin) diesels for example, I considered too uncommon for the GER roster, though I did use the aforementioned Alco RS-1s as a substitute even though none were ever sold new in Canada.

I also believe in having a fleet of locomotives, not one of each.   I don't want my crews to say something like, "Ah, here comes the 4-6-2" but rather "Here comes a 4-6-2", and if possible, I'll have at least two classes of each wheel arrangement.  The exception to this rule is yard engines.  As yard engines are typically assigned to the same yard for years having only assigned to a modelled yard is protypical.  For my yard engines I have 0-6-0, one 0-8-0 and one Alco diesel switcher.  However, this may change on the new and larger GER, once I move into the new house.

On the GER, you will not therefore find any 2-6-6-2s nor any other articulated locos as they never ran in Canada.  You'll not find anything in GER colours who's design screams "Norfolk & Western" (Much as I like the NW), or "New York Central" nor any other design easily identifiable to a particular railroad.  You will however find suitable NYC, Rutland, D&H, and of course CNR and CPR locos as the GER interchanges with all of these.

To keep the over all fleet and class effect when I purchase locomotives, I always order a minimum two, usually three and if the budget can be stretched that far four of each.  If things are tight, I will add additional locos of the same class as finances permit.   I also try to add GER details to the locos so that they all look like part of the GER family.

Does anyone else have the same criteria when building a roster?  Period accurate?   Only locos and rolling stock  suitable for your era and region?   Or are most of you in the "Must have one of those" category?

I started with ATSF 1972 era.  But moved to UP 1949 to 1999.   When they were readily availble I obtained undec units and then added UP specific details, paint and decals.   Phil