News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale Dummy "B" Units

Started by CG04, February 09, 2010, 03:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG04

Hey guys,

I'm needing a bit of help here.  Last weekend I went to a train show and picked up some "A" units,  but they had no "B" units.  My searching skills are not the best and I can't find what I'm looking for.  Where are those grand kids when you need them.  I'm needing a dummy "B" unit for an EMD F9 Union Pacific,  An EMD F9 SP Daylight and a F7 SP Black Widow.  All I want is the shell and frame it's mounted on.  I can find the powered "B" units and they are pretty proud of them.  By the way, the EMD-UP and the SP Black Widow are both Bachmann and the SP Daylight is Life-Like.
Any help will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Clif

ABC

Bachmann did not make unpowered/dummy B units for the F9 and F7, they only make powered B units, so you would have to just buy the powered units and remove the motors. Or buy Athearn dummy B units, but you may have to do some custom painting to get them to match exactly.
Also, I checked under Proto 2000, Proto 1000, and Life-Like and none of them made a Southern Pacific F9, but they did make F7s of which there were never any dummy B units made, so again if you absolutely need a dummy to mount a speaker in for example then you will have to either remove the motor or buy an Athearn dummy unit and custom paint it to match.

CG04

Thanks for the info ABC. 
No wonder I couldn't find them.  So maybe my searching is not as bad as I thought.
I suppose we will have to think about the Athearn dummy units.  By the way, the F7 was a typo.  It should have been F9.  Anyhow, thanks again.

Clif

jward

is there any particular reason you want dummy units? having a powered b unit increases pulling power.

btw, the only athearn f9s are the genesis series. they may not have dummy units. the ready to roll b units are f7s. not that it makes much difference. most people can't tell the b units apart, the obvious spotting differences between the f7 and f9 pertain to the a units.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CG04

JWARD,

Thanks for the input.

I am needing a total of five "B" units and I figured they would be considerably less expensive than five powered units.  The "A" units will only be pulling 4 to 5 passenger cars and they do that very well now.  I figured one more car won't hurt.

Clif

Edo

We have a slightly different problem.
We do have a dummy 'B' unit  SP EMD F7 Daylight #8091. The F7A is # 6441 which is a DC unit. We would like to install DCC in the F7A but would first like to find out the manufacturer and any info on installing DCC in that particular engine.

jward

turn the unit over and look at the bottom of the fuel tank area. if you see 4 holes that have rubber motor mounts in them, it is probably athearn. digitrax makes a install kit for these locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Edo

Thank you JWard.
I emailed Athearn in early January thinking it may have been one of theirs since they are similar to ATH80241 and ATH3236. Since they are discontinued I could not get further information.
Yes, there are 4 rubber mounts on the bottom!
Now I know where to find a DCC unit.