News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Location of Acela rail/pantograph switch

Started by Frankv, February 11, 2010, 01:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

I just bought a new Acela set, The powered unit appears to be DOA (no hum, lights, or movement). Before I send it in for warranty service, I thought I should check about this switch. I seem to remember reading that there was such a switch. Not a shred of useful documentation came with this expensive set (the DVD is just std newbie advice), for which Bachmann should be embarrassed. Anybody who knows whether this switch exists, and its location, I would appreciate the help. Or, anything else to check out that I might be missing  before I send it in.

A little appropriate whining and complaining is in order. I have 3 DOA locos in for Bachmann warranty service right now, I hate to add a 4th. Besides which, the postage is beginning to mount up. I have a lot of Bachmann stuff - in fact most of my stuff is Bachmann. I'm beginning to wonder whether I've bet on the wrong horse.  I know complaints on this forum about Bachmann quality have met with the rejoinder,"Well, you didn't pay top dollar". Gee, I'm not complaining about the quality of the running - I'm unhappy that, fresh out of the box, so many don't run at all.

jonathan

Frank,

Sorry about your bad luck.

There is such a switch in the locomotive.  If you look on the top, you should find a small box in one of the pantograph areas.  Lift it up and you should find a small, red, two-position switch.  This selects receipt of current from the wheels or the pantograph.

Hope that solves the problem for you.  I had to switch mine when I received the set.  I haven't had any trouble since.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Jonathan

Frankv

Thank you Jonathan for the help.

I guess I have to eat crow on this (just a little, maybe one wing, a leg, and a claw). I had also sent an email about this to Bachmann Customer Service. Very quickly, just shortly after I had finished my rant regarding Bachmann quality on this forum, I got a call from a nice lady at Bachmann, who also told me how to find the switch.

So now the Acela runs like a rocket, which was the idea. However, I still think my set should have included a 3x5 handwritten slip of paper which said, "Before going ballistic, Dummy, check the switch under the little hatch at the back of the engine. That would have saved Bachmann a phone call, and me a little stomach lining. On the other hand perhaps the problem is that Bachmann overestimates the intelligence of (maybe just one) of its customers.

full maxx

thats too funny but I think the switch should have been set to the rails to start cause I have watched a lot of Acela vids and not one used the pantograph
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

hawaiiho

Quote from: Frankv on February 14, 2010, 10:42:21 AM
Thank you Jonathan for the help.

I guess I have to eat crow on this (just a little, maybe one wing, a leg, and a claw). I had also sent an email about this to Bachmann Customer Service. Very quickly, just shortly after I had finished my rant regarding Bachmann quality on this forum, I got a call from a nice lady at Bachmann, who also told me how to find the switch.

So now the Acela runs like a rocket, which was the idea. However, I still think my set should have included a 3x5 handwritten slip of paper which said, "Before going ballistic, Dummy, check the switch under the little hatch at the back of the engine. That would have saved Bachmann a phone call, and me a little stomach lining. On the other hand perhaps the problem is that Bachmann overestimates the intelligence of (maybe just one) of its customers.

My experience with Bachmann's Customer Service has been like yours. They have been very, very excellent. Some of the nicest people I have ever dealt with when I was experiencing a problem with some type of merchandise. They have always gone the extra mile to help me. I can't say enough for those folks.

On the other hand, for some time now, Bachmann's weak point has been poor documentation, or worse yet, none at all.
I wish someone could get the message to the top Bachmann executives.  Hopefully, they could do something to correct the problem.

jonathan

Glad were able to get your Acela running.  I like mine, too.  I'm afraid I have to agree with others here.  If there was one gripe I could voice to the Bach Man it would be for better paperwork with their equipment.  The diagrams are very helpful, but a few words on disassembly or other things unique to that one piece of gear would go a long way.

Regards,

Jonathan

Frankv

Note to Full Maxx: The nice lady at Bachmann Customer Service mentioned that they test the Acela on both rail and pantograph power before they send it out. They are always supposed to set it to rail power before shipping, but sometimes people forget. Not sure who "they" is - China or Bachmann. Gee, I take heart in hearing that - someone actually tests the stuff before sending it to us!!

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com