News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track roadbed improvements

Started by chaynes, February 11, 2010, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaynes

I just an ad in the Model Railroader magazine that features EZ-track that has been covered with a ballast gravel that looks much more realistic than the plastic roadbed.  What would be the best type of glue to attach ballast gravel to the plastic roadbed? 

Chris

jonathan

Chris,

I don't what glue would be 'best', but I used 50/50 white glue and water, just like my cork roadbed. It seems to be holding well so far.

1.  Spread and smooth the ballast to your taste (takes much less with EZ track).

2.  Mist the track/ballast with wet water (a drop of liquid soap in the water).

3.  Apply the diluted glue with a squeeze bottle... be generous.  It doesn't hurt to wipe down railheads after all this work.

4.  Let dry.  Run trains.  Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

chaynes

Jonathan, thanks for the glue information.  Do you solder the joints on your EZ track?

Chris

jonathan

Chris, this would be a case of "do as I say, not as I do."  For a number of reasons,  I have only soldered my track as I needed in order to maintain conductivity.  The short answer is 'yes' I have soldered my EZ track, but not all of it.  If you can, I would solder each joint.  Here's a caveat:  I changed my track arrangement several times, even after some of it was ballasted.  This is one of the many reasons I waited to solder until the bitter end.

This is my first layout, so I'm glad I waited.  Just call me a little neurotic.

Regards,

Jonathan

Robertj668

Chris
Was it in a recent magazine article or was in one of their books I work with EZ Track too.

Robert

chaynes

...I went back and checked.  It is an advertisement for EZ track and it is the back cover of Model Railroader Magazine's 2010 Layout Planning issue.