Bachmann Spectrum Modern 4-4-0 with Sound -- HO-Scale

Started by currieken, February 11, 2010, 10:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

currieken

I have one of the above locos, brand new, and am having problems.  During operations, the wheels will suddenly stop, but the sound decoder will keep generating the proper sounds.  This will happen on even straight and level, very clean, properly wired track.  I have tried applying lube oil, have moved the engine back and forth by hand (sometimes that will get the wheels going again, but only briefly), have applied extra weight by slightly pushing down on the engine while operating (sometimes that seems to help, but that may be an illusion), and the problem keeps recurring.  Has anyone else had a similar problem with this particular loco.  I have the undecorated version (not that this should make any difference whatsoever).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions of info.

Ken C

Jim Banner

If the lights stay on and/or the sound keeps playing, then the decoder is still receiving power from the rails.  But the motor may not be getting power from the decoder.  Depending on what DCC system you are using, it could be something as simple as a phantom locomotive stuck in your system.

Other possibilities include an intermittent open circuit between the decoder and the motor, an overloaded motor (think mechanical drag) causing the decoder to shut down intermittently, or a mechanical jam in the power train.  What happens if you just leave the locomotive sitting there with the sound playing?  Does it start itself up again after a few minutes or not?  If it does not restart, open circuits or mechanical jams are more likely the cause.  If it does restart itself after a minute or two, overloading or a faulty decoder seem more likely.  You could also try turning the speed to zero, waiting a couple of minutes, then turning the speed back up and see if that will restart your locomotive without you touching the train, the tracks, or anything else except the speed control.  You may think of some more tests to try to give us a few more clues as to what is happening.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Make sure that both plugs between the engine and tender are completely seated. I had a similar problem with a 2-8-0 when I first got it. Once the plugs were seated correctly, the problem never came back. Just pull out the plugs and put them back. They should go all in except for the very top where its wider.

currieken

Thanks for the info.  I've contacted Bachmann, since it's still under warranty, and they've asked me to send it to them for service.  I think it may, in fact, be the plugs; they are VERY loose, and the main plug keeps popping loose each time I handle the loco.  Even when I make sure the plug is what I think is tight, the problem still occurs, however.  I'm thinking it may just be a faulty set of connectors.  In any event, thanks again.  I'll let you all know what Bachmann finds out.

Ken

pdlethbridge

As is their custom, they will probably give you a new loco.