News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC wiring on a 4x8 Layout

Started by chaynes, February 22, 2010, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaynes

I'm planning a 4x8 layout using flex track and the EZ command DCC.  Based on this forum I am going to solder most if not all of my rail joints.  How often do I need to attach feeder wires to my track bus on this size layout?  I found some pre-wired rail joiners with feeder wires at my local hobby shop---are these a good short cut to use?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions in advance!
Chris

ABC

Quote from: chaynes on February 22, 2010, 02:47:17 PM
I found some pre-wired rail joiners with feeder wires at my local hobby shop---are these a good short cut to use?
Yeah you can use those Atlas rail joiners, you can put them about every 10-12 feet or so.

OldTimer

I've seen opinions that range from a low of every three feet (serious overkill) to a high of somewhere around twelve feet.  Personally, I'm using 14 AWG for the track bus with 20 guage feeders about every six to nine feet (probably overkill on a small railroad with modest power requirements).  Remember, by using flex track, you've cut the number of rail joints by at least half.  I'd not mess with the Atlas wired rail joiners.  They're expensive.  You're soldering the track anyway so adding feeders while you're at it is no big deal.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

pdlethbridge

You could solder feeders to the rail joiners you're putting in before you install the track

RAM

On those pre-wired joiners.  I would but one or two and then try to make my own.  I would say use them every other section and not solder the rail joint together.

full maxx

here is my double oval and I have two terminal rerailers hooked to power  and have no prob...one inside and one outside...have added on to this and still have no prob.
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

Chris,

I did a little of both; a few of those prewired joiners and some wires soldered directly to the track.  The prewired joiners can get expensive, as mentioned above.  I stretched the boundries, a feeder about every 12 feet.  Works well so far.  I'm usually into the overkill aspect, but soldering is quite a chore for me.  2 more cents for the pot.

Regards,

Jonathan

OldTimer

Jonathan,
When you solder, do you use flux?  Flux cleans the parts and helps with heat transfer.  Also, an iron bigger than you think you need lets you get in and out quicker.  Finally, make sure the tip of the iron is tinned and clean, and electrical connections are tight.  Hope this helps make soldering less of a chore.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jward

re: flux.

be sure to use rosin flux, and rosin core solder, like that sold at radio shack. do not use acid flux, or acid core solder as sold in hardware stores and plumbing supply stores. the acid flux is corrosive and not suitable for electircal work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

I like to keep a damp rag on the bench when I'm soldering. I wipe the tip on the damp cloth and it helps keep the soldering speed fast.

Doneldon

I'm building a 4x8 for my nine-year-old grandson and I want it to be bullet proof because he lives 90 minutes away.  I'm using sectional track.  I feed all three ends of every switch and the sections often enough that the power doesn't have to cross more than one gap.  This translates to once every four rail joints, plus the switch feeds.  I use feeders soldered to rail joiners and a tiny spec of socket lube in every rail joint/rail joiner.  This is a dialectric material which will, I hope, keep the power flowing with few interruptions.