News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40X

Started by jdvass, February 15, 2010, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdvass

I had to buy one of the Bachmann DD40X's even though I model the Canadian Pacific in the 1950's. I had to have one because they look great. This was also the first DCC on Board Loco I ever bought and I must say I was not impressed with the running of this unit.

This weekend I was putting a decoder in another loco and it dawned on me that maybe a different decoder would make a difference. I took out the Bachmann decoder and dropped in a Digitrax unit. I also wired the roof strobe light to the F1 output so I could turn it off and on. Then I tried it. It runs much better now. I was supprised at the difference just by changing decoders. Plus the seperate strobe control is a bonus.

Maybe I'll now have to have a CP/UP exchange now. Hmmm.

ABC

Yes, decoders can make a huge difference, other times if you already have a great running loco, it doesn't matter as much.

zachary4179

wold it be a good idea to replace the decoder  or shold i keep the decoder that is all redy in it  and buy the way it not a dd40x it dda40x 

Nigel

In DCC On Board locomotives, Bachmann provides a very basic decoder, basically for free compared with same locomotive without a decoder.  You usually get pretty close to what you pay for.....

It is kinda like tires on a new vehicle, if you want rugged tires, you replace the OEM equipment. 
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

just427

ABC

The DD stood for a DD wheel arrangement, the X stood for experimental, the actual name is DDA40X, but it is often incorrectly referred to as DD40AX like on the Bachmann site.