News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to model railroading

Started by Obecny75, February 25, 2010, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obecny75

I have always been interested in model railroads so I got a Bachman Rail King HO scale set for Christmas. I got a little tired of the basic oval (47" x 38" oval 12 pieces curved track, 1 piece straight track, and 1 plug-in) that came with it so I was thinking of buying the 30 degree crossing and making a figure 8. The figure 8 says I need 21 18" curved and 1 18" rerailer.

So basically my question is to save money (I don't want to have to but a curved rerailer if I could just use the straight one i already have) I would assume I have to buy 2 straight pieces (to make 4 including the straight rerailer and 1 straight i already have) plus another 10 18" curved pieces (thus making 22 curves total). However my amateur model railroading brain is thinking that with the extra straight pieces coming off each side of the crossing will thus throw off the radius (and thus total number of curved pieces I need) of each side of the 8.

Well....I am apparently one of a few things....dumb because I don't know how big my pieces of track are. Dumb because I don't know if my track is 18" curved or not.

Basically I'm completely lost...PLEASE HELP

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new at this. Any hope would be appreciated. I'm sure you will be seeing a lot more of me around here.

Doneldon

You're not dumb at all; you are exactly correct that adding straight tracks on each of the four ends of the crossing will change the geometry so the track won't match up.

Rather than do a figure eight, which will still have trains just running around in a differently shaped loop, why not go to your LHS (local hobby shop) and get an inexpensive book of plans for small layouts using sectional track?  I'm sure you'd find something interesting and affordable.

Welcome to the hobby.

Obecny75

one day I plan on having an expansive train layout but for now while I have limited time, space, and money Id like to start out small and do a figure 8.

buzz

Hi Obecny75
First off the dumb question is the one you should have asked and then did not.
No asked question is dumb.
If you don't ask we cannot answer.
I do however tend to agree that the best course of action is to find a good track plan book for small layouts and select one you like.
There are a number of publications out there by both US and UK publishers,
that have plans for small affordable railways that also have some room for a bit of scenery development as well.
That can be built as you can afford the pieces and these are good for learning the basics of building a model railway,
and to have fun doing it
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Joe Satnik

Dear Obecny75,

Welcome to the board. 

You can use Atlas terminal joiners (#842) to connect power to the tracks if you don't need/want an 18"R terminal re-railer. 

You said:  "..I have limited...space.."

Figure eights are surprisingly long.  How much length do you have to work with?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Obecny75

Well, I have an area about 8 feet by 10 feet. The real problem is I dont want it to be permanent so I wouldnt be doing any landscaping and such for now just the track.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Obecny75 on February 25, 2010, 02:53:01 AM
I have always been interested in model railroads so I got a Bachman Rail King HO scale set for Christmas. I got a little tired of the basic oval (47" x 38" oval 12 pieces curved track, 1 piece straight track, and 1 plug-in) that came with it so I was thinking of buying the 30 degree crossing and making a figure 8. The figure 8 says I need 21 18" curved and 1 18" rerailer.

So basically my question is to save money (I don't want to have to but a curved rerailer if I could just use the straight one i already have) I would assume I have to buy 2 straight pieces (to make 4 including the straight rerailer and 1 straight i already have) plus another 10 18" curved pieces (thus making 22 curves total). However my amateur model railroading brain is thinking that with the extra straight pieces coming off each side of the crossing will thus throw off the radius (and thus total number of curved pieces I need) of each side of the 8.

Well....I am apparently one of a few things....dumb because I don't know how big my pieces of track are. Dumb because I don't know if my track is 18" curved or not.

Basically I'm completely lost...PLEASE HELP

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new at this. Any hope would be appreciated. I'm sure you will be seeing a lot more of me around here.
[/quote

Nothing dumb about the question. We have all been there at one time or another.

I found link to be a good starter.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/bach_track.php

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik

Dear Obecny75,

Try this recipe:

18"R x 60 Degree Figure 8:

1 ea.  60 degree crossing

20 ea. normal (=30 degrees each) 18" R curves

3 ea. 9" straights

1 ea. 9" straight terminal re-railer.

Not mathematically perfect, but dog-gone close. 

Table L x W (fence to fence) minimum = 81" x 40"

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Obecny75

ok new question.

When a track piece says its 18" radius curve or 22" radius curve what does that mean? Does it mean the track is 18 or 22" in length?

Cody J

It means that when you make a circle of all 18" rad track, the diameter will be 36", the radius will be 18". Same for 15,22,24 etc

One piece of 18" radius track is about 9" in length
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Joe Satnik

Dear Obecny75,

Just to add, the center-line of the track (between the two rails) is where the radius measurements are taken from. 

Another very important thing to note with curves is the number of sections needed for a complete circle

In the case of 18"R regular HO curves, it takes 12 sections per complete circle.  Since a complete circle is 360 degrees around (like a face on a magnetic compass), 360 degrees/12 = 30 degrees per section. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik