HO Layout planning question

Started by barrowsr, February 16, 2010, 08:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrowsr

I have finally reached the point where my basement walls are defined enough to begin layout planning.  I have 80% of the studs up and will be able to begin wiring in a few weeks.  Although oddly shaped the two rooms contain a lot of space for trains - about 1500 square feet. My happy dilemma is; do I design the mainline first with the largest possible radius or do I plan the scenes and industries then draw a track plan to support them.  Rough sketches indicate that 40-42 inch radius curves will be possible.  John Armstrong's book doesn't cover this type of issue so I thought I'd put the question before the forum.

Thanks,

Robin

jward

i would plan the mainline first. keep in mind that although you may be able to use 42" radius, you might be better off using something smaller like 30" so that you have more room for the towns and scenes you envision.  also, keep in mind that using gently sweeping curves in place of long straight sections can increase the apparent size of the room.

i would only plan out the yards and industrial spurs after i have decided on the routing of the mainline.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

hminky

Design the points of interest first and design the mainline around them.

Harold

barrowsr

Thanks for the replies.  There's one vote for each method.  Assuming enough real estate exists for either method - what are the reasons for planning track before scenery or vice versa?

Thanks again,

Robin

jward

i like to plan and build the track first. industries can be added later once you see how things are going to look in real life. on paper it often looks like you have more room than you actually do.

i also like to build the track and work the bugs out before building the scenery. that way, i am not damaging the scenery trying to fix the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

I agree with jward, so that is 2 votes track first, 1 vote scenery first.

hminky

Quote from: hminky on February 16, 2010, 09:21:38 AM
Design the points of interest first and design the mainline around them.

Harold

I am not talking about scenery. It is easier to design the railroad points of interest; yards, industries, etc. Then arrange them and the mainline.

Harold

ABC

I know, it is shorter to say scenery than, all points of interest etc...

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

What I am going to propose,  I think,  is basically what Harold says.
If you can,  pick a theme for your railroad.   Mine was coal hauling.   With that in mind,  I figured I needed a main yard,  a mine or two or three,  coal company or other point to deliver coal to and take away empties.  Then,  I tried to decide what other type of traffic might move over my railroad.   Coal is the primary commodity,  but my railroad is a shortline bridge route,  so I decided it may be best to have some sort of industrial shifting area. 
       Once the areas to build were decided upon,  I simply used the mainline,  branch line,  and or interchange to "connect the dots."   Also in my planning was/is operations and scenery.    For operations,  do I need passing sidings or run arounds for shifting?    That kind of thing.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

barrowsr

Thanks for all the tips folks.  I really appreciate the level of experience and help available on this forum.

Regards,

Robin

lirrman

In my experience, I always found it better to lay all the curves first since the curves are the part of the trackwork that will determine what will fit and what will not.  Using the largest radius possible will, of course, make the trains run smoother and look better BUT using a smaller radius can keep the main line track from running along the walls all the time and allow for some gentle curves in the main instead off all straight track.  The smaller radius will also allow for scenery BEHIND the main which will add depth and perspective to the overall appearance.  On my last layout, after laying out the curves, I found there was insufficient room for the roundhouse I planned (there was plenty of room on paper) without reducing the size of of a small town to almost nothing. So, the roundhouse went in favor of an engine servicing facility which ended up plenty big enough and kept my small town of sufficient size for very interesting switching. What ever you do, be prepared to compromise and rearrange stuff as you go along. If you did the scenery first, rearranging would be much harder.
Good luck.
LIRRMAN

jward

lirr,
i couldn't have put it any better myself. it is usually the curves that determine what kind of railroad you'll have.

the late john armstrong, in his track planning books, came up with the concept of squares, as a way of quickly estimating the amount of room the curves will take up. basically, a square is the space taken up by a 90 degree turn, and is equal to the radius plus 4", per side. two squares are needed for a 180 degree turn or half circle. 4 squares for a complete circle.

to use this method as a planning tool, you'd first determine the size of your squares, then use them to lay out a grid of your layout space. most track plans published use the 12" grid which often has no relationship to the curve radius. using the example of 20" radius, your squares would be 24" per side, and you'd rule off the layout space in 24" increments. you'd then have a much better idea of what would fit and what wouldn't.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA