Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc on board

Started by just427, February 17, 2010, 12:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just427

can any one tell me what i have to do to run this kind of  engine on dc track

ABC

You can do one of two things. Either do absolutely nothing (Bachmann has dual mode decoders that run on DC and DCC) or if you want better performance take the shell off the loco remove the decoder from the 8-pin socket and replace it with jumpers for better DC operation.

Jim Banner

If it is a steam locomotive, the decoder is probably in the tender, which is easy to take apart (1 or 2 screws underneath.)  Steam locomotives tend to be harder to take apart and some are downright frightening.  Check the tender first.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

just427

thx was not shure if it would burn out decoder on dc tryed it it works great even with direction lighting it a a gp35 desiel

Nigel

Quote from: just427 on February 17, 2010, 08:47:29 PM
thx was not shure if it would burn out decoder on dc tryed it it works great even with direction lighting it a a gp35 desiel

It will not hurt the decoder to run on DC.  The locomotive will operate better on DC if follow the advice about removing the decoder, and installing the jumpers - if this is an option on your particular model.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

full maxx

Quote from: Jim Banner on February 17, 2010, 09:06:08 AM
If it is a steam locomotive, the decoder is probably in the tender, which is easy to take apart (1 or 2 screws underneath.)  Steam locomotives tend to be harder to take apart and some are downright frightening.  Check the tender first.

Jim
yes steamers are difficult at best...ltook me almost 2 hours to get all the rods and valve gear stuff back right...hope I don't have to do it again
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

How does taking out 1 or 2 screws in a tender screw up all your rods and valve gears?

just427

because u started by taking the loco apart like i would have