News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Setting decals

Started by NarrowMinded, February 24, 2010, 10:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

Hi, I have only been using dry transfers because I like the way they turn out, but I am doing an HO caboose and the letters are just to small.

My question is what is the best setting fluid, liquid, agent? what ever you want to call it.

I cut away as much of the backing as I can but I still end up with some shininess even after applying  dullkote.

Thanks
NM

OldTimer

I've always used Solvaset.  Decals take much better to a gloss surface, odd as it may sound.   Putting the decals on a matte finish, even with a setting solution will result in sort of spotty looking clear film.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

the Bach-man

Dear NM,
First, give your model a light spray of Gloss Cote.
Apply the decal, and apply Micro sol.
After it's dry, tap any shiny spots with a sharp #11 blade.
Apply Micro set.
When dry, apply a light spray of Dull Cote.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Guilford Guy

I've always used Micro Set before Micro Sol. Micro Set helps the decal adhere better to the surface, and Micro Sol melts the decal into its surroundings. You may wish to apply several coats of Micro Sol, because, with each coat, the border of the decal becomes less and less apparent, and the sheen from the decal begins to disappear. I have not tried on a matte model to see if enough micro sol will eliminate the splotchy looking decal paper, but its possible.
Alex

NarrowMinded

Thank you Gent's, I'll give them both a try on some parts box trophies.

I'll let ya know how they turn out.

NM

ebtnut

One other little trick, as long as you have your # 11 blade out.  If the model surface is scribed to represent wood siding, get the decal down and set with a couple of application of Micro-Set, and let dry well.  Then run your blade down each of the scribe lines through the decal, then apply your Micro-Sol.  This helps separate the lines and allows the setting fluid more access to the decal to help it snuggle down better.

Loco Bill

I have used both Micro scale solvents first solvsset then the sol, and I have also used Solvaset.   Solvaset often works better on other brands of decals than Microscale.  You never know until you try, so I keep both brands handy.

I also recommend ebtnut's scribing technique.  It not only helps , but to me looks great as well.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products