News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann trucks/axles (old style)

Started by sreg, February 26, 2010, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sreg

I am new to model railroading. I purchased a bunch of old trains, cars, and misc. items. I have many cars with broken trucks and missing wheel and axles. I was told they are older Bachmann cars with the blunt tip on axles, not the pointed like newer style. Can I use newer style or where can I find replacement of the old style? Thanks for your help.

ABC

You can use any replacement trucks of your choice, it is just personal preference, same with the wheel sets, provided you get the right size.

sreg

Thanks. But I was told the new style axles that have points instead of the blunt old style ends (older Bachmann cars) will not work well when snapped in place. Lots of wheel wobble. Could this be a problem?

ABC

Yeah, I was suggesting that you replace the trucks too, if you don't you might have some trouble depending on how old and how worn they are. A new set of trucks and metal wheel sets will make a big difference.

Jhanecker2

To sreg :Kalmbach Publishing has a book called Repair and Maintenance of Model Railroads that will tell you how to replace trucks & wheelsets.  After that I recommend buying the current Walters Reference catalog  I think the 2009 is the current one out, this will give you an oversite of what is available . Walter"s catalog is available at most hobby stores, they are the largest distributors in model Railroad equipment. You can then deal with them or find the websites of manufactures of the equipment you are looking for. You might also look at the website of Micro-Mark for any tools you might need . Welcome to a fascinating hobby and Good Luck  John II

sreg

Thanks John for the info. I will check it out tomorrow. Scott