News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 ton with LokSound Micro

Started by rich1998, March 03, 2010, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

I mentioned some months ago about this sound conversion. Here are a few photos of my second 44 ton sound install.
The decoder is installed at this point and the loco is running fine. The speaker installation is next. The speaker will fit inside the front part of the shell, firing downward. The wires will be pressed down and covered with Kapton tape like my first install. The wires are not seen with the shell installed.

My next one will be a 45 ton sound install as the 45 ton is available now.

Lex

pdlethbridge

now why can't the backmann do that????????????

rich1998

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 03, 2010, 01:24:41 PM
now why can't the backmann do that????????????

Price. The decoder speaker combo cost $130.00.
I am pushing the envelope with this install. The loco draws about 600 ma with the drivers slipping at 12 volts DC. I did the measurements a few times to make sure.
The decoder is rated at 500 ma. Having worked in electronics for many years, I do know companies use  conservative numbers so I suspect the decoder would be good for at least 750 ma but they will never tell you that publicly.
I run the loco at about 20 mph max, HO scale speed so I do not approach max current at all. The 44 ton was run at about 20 mph max prototypically. The motor frame fits tightly in the metal loco frame so I suspect the loco frame draws off some of the heat from the motor. Just a WAG.
My first LokSound 44 ton has run for at least and hour on a club layout with no ill affects.
My Spectrum 70 ton has the same decoder with the Baldwin sound.

Oh, Bachmann could do it but who would pay the price for a diminutive loco like this.
Bottom line, how much profit could Bachmann make on something like this?
Everyone wants huge diesels or Gas turbines.

Lex

pdlethbridge

Lex, try doing sound in a 0-6-0t :)

rich1998

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 03, 2010, 02:06:03 PM
Lex, try doing sound in a 0-6-0t :)

I have an article I found on the Internet for just that Spectrum loco. The person used a SoundTraxx 090LC decoder and a small round speaker.
A LokSound Micro would work also. The decoder is a little smaller than the 090LC decoder. I have the 090LC also.
I would have to order a smaller round speaker as the LokSound Micro come with 16mm X 25mm speakers and LokSound speakers are 100 ohm, not 8 ohm.
LokSound has a new line of decoders that have 8 ohm speakers but the decoder is larger than the Micro.

I have that project under consideration.

Lex

Doneldon

Wow!  Those photos look like me trying to get into the jeans I wore a century ago when I was in college.  A tight fit if ever there was one.

exrail

Who would buy it?  I would, for one.  Small layout, small locomotives, low speeds, high detail, but I'm not into the electronics, yet I love the different engine sounds.