News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Supplies

Started by ksu_cowboy, April 23, 2010, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksu_cowboy

I have a questions about Bachmann power Supplies and train engines.  Is there more than one type of power supplies for the Bachmann HO Engines?  If so how do you know what engines require what power supply?  I have a 6 volt power supply from the 70's, looking to replace my enigne and concerned about compatability with my power supply.

ABC

Bachmann only makes one HO DC power source, but they do make two HO DCC power sources: the E-Z Command System and the Dynamis System.
Use DC locos with DC power supplies and DCC locos with DCC power supplies for best results.

full maxx

I believe the Bachmann power supply puts out 16 v. so the 6v. that you have may not work...not totally sure but I think that is right, some one with more knowledge will jump in shortly
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jbsmith

You can use just about any power pack made for HO scale.
Bachmann, MRC , Atlas , Athearn, Model Power, voltages in modern packs vary, but 16VA to 20VA volts is the norm, some even go higher like this big unit with 30VA

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=1265

Depends on the size of the layout too, the one above i'll bet is meant for a takes up an entire floor of the house monster sized layout like the ones featured in Model Railroader magazine.
For a more simple&basic 4x8 sized layout a 16VA should do the trick just fine.

Hang on to that 6volt, if it still works it should still be good for other electrical demands like lit up buildings and streetlights.

Doneldon

I use an MRC9500 as a test track and portable test power pack.  Output-wise it is just a normal power pack.  It's the meters which I like it for.  It really helps to diagnose a problem.

The six vold pack won't run HO as HO generally wants 12-16 volts.  However, it would be good for lights or accessories, depending on their power needs.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on April 24, 2010, 12:25:19 AM
The six vold pack won't run HO as HO generally wants 12-16 volts.
Actually, the NMRA specs say 12 volts max but many low cost power packs put out more when not loaded.  As far as running on 6 volts, most good H0 locomotives made today will start at 3 to 5 volts and will run happily with 6 volts at the motor.  I have some well run in early Katos that will start at 1 volt and rarely need more than 6 volts to run at realistic speeds.  But you will most likely want to run a little faster than you can on 6 volts and you might run into some new locomotives that will not start below 6 volts until they are broken in.

Looking at it another way, you might be driving a car that flat out will do 150 miles per hour.  That's your 16 volts.  The same car might cruise at 110 mph.  That's your 12 volts.  Your freeway speeds might be around 50 mph.  That's your 6 volts.  And idling along with your foot off the gas, that your 2 or 3 volts.  You probably wouldn't be happy if a restricted fuel line limited you to 50 - you would probably do something about it so that you could go 110 or more, even if you never did go that fast.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.